Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Photo Radar & Flash

Today I was late for school and doing about 130km/h (75mph) and the speed limit was 100km/h (60mph) I saw the unit and was able to get down to about 115km/h (65mph) but I figured I was caught because they usually give a 10km/h buffer. But the funny thing is I didn't see the camera flash, so did I get nailed with a ticket in the mail?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Bryce

Newcomer

P.S. I was driving in Calgary, Canada

Yoda of Radar

130 is 81 mi/h!

Better get an RD, highly possible there was nothing.

Keep in mind, unless the ticket is delivered by registered mail or by a police officer, just throw it in the trash - there's no law saying you need to read your mail! If it is registered, well, just don't go and claim it!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Keep in mind, unless the ticket is delivered by registered mail or by a police officer, just throw it in the trash - there's no law saying you need to read your mail! If it is registered, well, just don't go and claim it!
    But, when I need to re-register my car they'll get me there because they will have put that on the registration. So I'm screwed into paying it either way just at a later date.

Experienced

Hmm, nailed on the Derfoot, eh?

The cameras only flash when it is dark out, so I wouldn't expect you would see a flash unless you are going to midnight school.

You probably will get a ticket, but it will take about 3-4 weeks before it arrives. They do not send it by registered mail, nor do they have to (here anyway).

When you receive the ticket, send a request for disclosure to the crown by double registered mail, in about 6 weeks you will get a call to pick up your stuff and possibly a package from the police service. If you never get that call, go to court with your regisetered mail receipt, tell the judge the crown did not provide requested evidence and request the case be dismissed.

Remember, avoiding the ticket is only the first half of the game!

When you pick up your package, you might as well go down to the traffic courts since it's in the same building, plead not guilty, do not take the first court date they offer you (tell them it doesn't work for whatever reason, and ask for one a few days or a week after). Then with your disclosure info, start prepping your case, and start watching for clean minivans or cars with their trunks up on the side of the Deerfoot.. :wink:

Newcomer

Yup nailed on the deerfoot. It was so weird though today, I can usually pick off a photo radar a mile away, but I guess my head was just somewhere else.

Lead Foot

When you break fast enough thru the radarbeam it will produce an error and wont photograph you.

Newcomer

Well good news its been over 3 weeks and I haven't recieved anything in the mail. I think it's safe to say I got lucky.

Thanks for the input.

Professional

We really need more anti-photo radar products, besides just crummy sprays and super obvious plate covers... like anti-flash units, or perhaps other technologies that i dont even know of!

"But, when I need to re-register my car they'll get me there because they will have put that on the registration. So I'm screwed into paying it either way just at a later date."
    yes, but there is a statute of limitations on each ticket, 120 days in scottsdale, az probably similar elsewhere. just wait for that to pass, then you are good no cop can do anything if they pull u over and dmv cant either.