Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want to transmit radar

Is there something cheap and handheld that emits radar? I'm experimenting with different locations of my remote mount radar antenna in the front of my car. I would like to use something to test its "field of view" in a variety of different angles and mounting options.

Don't certain garage door openers use K-band? How can I tell? I figure I can just buy a replacement transmitter of one of these types and use it to test.

Advanced Member

I don't know of any garage door openers that use radar, except for possibly some "motion sensor" types. Your best bet is to go buy a Bushnell radar gun from RadioShack.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I don't know of any garage door openers that use radar, except for possibly some "motion sensor" types. Your best bet is to go buy a Bushnell radar gun from RadioShack.
    That uses X-Band right?? Do you know any cheap one that uses K or Ka?
    Thanks

Speed Demon

Actually, those are K-Band I believe.
    I couldn't find any information about the band but I think I saw that it said somewhere 24Ghz, Is that K band?

EDIT:
    Yeah it uses K-band

I've seen quite a few references to garage door openers triggering radar detectors. A lot of them supposedly use X-band and apparently a few of them are K-band. If I go to home depot and look at the replacement door openers, what frequency should I look for to get in the K band range that would be detected by the detector?

The bushnell gun is K-band from what I've read and its about $75. I was hoping for something cheaper, like a $20 garage door opener.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by merchgod
    I've seen quite a few references to garage door openers triggering radar detectors. A lot of them supposedly use X-band and apparently a few of them are K-band. If I go to home depot and look at the replacement door openers, what frequency should I look for to get in the K band range that would be detected by the detector?

The bushnell gun is K-band from what I've read and its about $75. I was hoping for something cheaper, like a $20 garage door opener.
    If you find something for $20 that works well PM me

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by merchgod

When they're talking about garage door openers, they're talking about garage doors where you pull your vehicle up to them and the door automatically opens, such as at some quickie-lube places etc. None of the handheld garage door transmitters use radar.

There was a thread a while back where we were looking for a case of a "regular" garage door opened triigering alerts on a detector. Only one person experienced this: when sitting inside his garage, the actual receiver unit that opens the door caused a weak alert on his detector...

Jim

When they're talking about garage door openers, they're talking about garage doors where you pull your vehicle up to them and the door automatically opens, such as at some quickie-lube places etc. None of the handheld garage door transmitters use radar.

There was a thread a while back where we were looking for a case of a "regular" garage door opened triigering alerts on a detector. Only one person experienced this: when sitting inside his garage, the actual receiver unit that opens the door caused a weak alert on his detector...
    Jim
    Ah, I see.

I've read some other posts about removing some "shielding" from inside an old RD and being able to transmit a signal (along the same lines that RD cause other RDs to false). This was used by people on highway to cause RD users to go into brake-check mode.

Would this work for my purposes? I have an old Bel 880 that has been sitting in a drawer for years.

Advanced Member

Maybe. Look in the radar jammer section. There's a link somewhere in there for plans to "convert" a radar detector to a jammer. Although the result has no jamming effect at all, it might work great for your purposes.