Good Citizen

Default very smart fla hwy patrol cops

the little hills you find in florida on 95 anywhere north of vero beach and they like to hide in several spots. my v995 pick up most over the hill but on this one hill(i think the cop is smart and uses the ka band 33.8 bee111 unit) in a low powered state as other cops with same radar have triple the range i get plus he doesnt leave on full blast, he waits to see you coming over the hill and when you reach the top, hes got his gun out and once he didnt even try to target me as i was doing the 70 mph speed limit (i usually do anywhere near hills) or places i cant see well.
    i also notice that i guess they arew good at spotting fast cars and drivers cause he knew i wasnt speeding so he didnt waste his ka blast on me(smart not to alert the car behind me that may be speeding) and then he will nail the guy going fast once he gets to the top of hill. i dont know if it was pop or not but hes frequency is steady at 33.7 and pop bursting constantly along with the kA band at the correct ka frequency./ i really think he was sitting there using pop mode since on trial runs, there was once or twice when i went by him without any warning(even missed the pop alert) then as passing him i may get a rebound from behind at the ka 33.7 frequency maybe transmitting in constant mode.
    then i went back and it picked up both ka and the pop. i would say the v995 is good at pop detection-i cant prove any better than that trial about pop radar and if it is used in florida, IT IS IN FLORIDA.

Experienced

Nice find! I am convinced Florida does use some MPH POP units, I have seen this on the O-Town police but my experiences with the FHP they usually use instant on Ka blasts.

Power User

I would say almost all my experience with troopers are ConstantOn Ka, however majority of my drive is on the turnpike, I have heard repeatedly that Palm Beach and north on I-95 have very smart officers that use InstantOn. Goes to show always have a rabbit speeding ahead of you.

The sale of POP units has been confirmed in FLorida, I know it is here, but I keep believeing that I have better odds winning the lottery. In addition again if I speed, have a rabbit speeding ahead of me, because if it is POP the officer still has to go InstantOn which will give up his position.

Just a note, older BEE III units do not have POP ability, there is no way to tell if a BEE is or is not POP unless you ask the officer. Anyways, Vero Beach, Daytona, lots of people suspect it's presence in those areas.

Advanced Member

There's no question that there are POP capable radar units in Florida.
    But, it is very possible that these units might not have the POP feature enabled. I posted about this before, here's an excerpt from the manual:

I don't know what implications this has for certain. It might be possible that there is some kind of legal restriction to using POP in Florida. Someone should try and check the state laws or radar standards to find out for sure.

Jim

Professional

I think the lack of doppler audio would be an issue. See the parts I added BOLD font too.

Ed

The 2005 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
    MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
    STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.1906 Radar speed-measuring devices; evidence, admissibility.--

(1) DEFINITIONS.--

(a) "Audio Doppler" means a backup audible signal that translates the radar's Doppler shift into a tone which can be heard by the radar operator.

(b) "Audio warning tone" refers to an auxiliary radar device which alerts the operator, by means of an audible tone, to the presence of a speed registration above a preset level.

(c) "Automatic speed lock" refers to an auxiliary radar device which immediately holds any speed reading obtained above a preset level.

(d) "Officer" means any:

1. "Law enforcement officer" who is elected, appointed, or employed full time by any municipality or the state or any political subdivision thereof; who is vested with the authority to bear arms and make arrests; and whose primary responsibility is the prevention and detection of crime or the enforcement of the penal, criminal, traffic, or highway laws of the state;

2. "Part-time law enforcement officer" who is employed or appointed less than full time, as defined by an employing agency, with or without compensation; who is vested with authority to bear arms and make arrests; and whose primary responsibility is the prevention and detection of crime or the enforcement of the penal, criminal, traffic, or highway laws of the state; or

3. "Auxiliary law enforcement officer" who is employed or appointed, with or without compensation; who aids or assists a full-time or part-time law enforcement officer; and who, while under the direct supervision of a full-time or part-time law enforcement officer, has the authority to arrest and perform law enforcement functions.

(e) "Radar" means law enforcement speed radar, any laser-based or microwave-based speed-measurement system employed by a law enforcement agency to detect the speed of motorists.

(2) Evidence of the speed of a vehicle measured by any radar speed-measuring device shall be inadmissible in any proceeding with respect to an alleged violation of provisions of law regulating the lawful speed of vehicles, unless such evidence of speed is obtained by an officer who:

(a) Has satisfactorily completed the radar training course established by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission pursuant to s. 943.17(1)(b).

(b) Has made an independent visual determination that the vehicle is operating in excess of the applicable speed limit.

(c) Has written a citation based on evidence obtained from radar when conditions permit the clear assignment of speed to a single vehicle.

(d) Is using radar which has no automatic speed locks and no audio alarms, unless disconnected or deactivated.

(e) Is operating radar with audio Doppler engaged.

(f) Is using a radar unit which meets the minimum design criteria for such units established by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

History.--s. 1, ch. 80-276; s. 24, ch. 84-258; s. 1, ch. 92-193.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    There's no question that there are POP capable radar units in Florida.
    But, it is very possible that these units might not have the POP feature enabled. I posted about this before, here's an excerpt from the manual:

I don't know what implications this has for certain. It might be possible that there is some kind of legal restriction to using POP in Florida. Someone should try and check the state laws or radar standards to find out for sure.

Jim
    WOW that would be great to get a clarification, so as the manual even says POP is not present on Florida units. That would be a load off my mind. 8)

so what the op saw musta been instant-on

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ftothe3
    so what the op saw musta been instant-on
    I would strongly believe so, especially since Jim posted this intreguing info that is printed in the manual. I am very intregue why so. And if this in fact true today, that would be awsome, imagine that, just like being able to disable X band, one would have complete confidence not to worry about POP as well.

A police officer can point a radar gun at you and your detector will screem POP alert, but it does not mean that the officer is actually using POP. One would have to ask the officer to actually know for sure. Further more just because a unit is the BEE III (Ka 33.800) does not mean that it is POP capable, and even if it is a newer POP capable unit, the officer still has to program it to use it in such mode.