Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Radar detector confusion

Okay I am confused about what's happening in this video:

http://jasonsvideoproductions.com/bbblinder.wmv

How is the M-20 giving so much more warning than the X50 RD? Isn't the M-20 a laser jammer? but isn't that cop using a radar gun? so how is the M-20 making any noise at all???? I'm so confused. That M-20 makes the radar detector look useless.

Advanced Member

In many cases, you're right, a detector is useless against alser. With most radar detectors, you can't even depend on them to alert every time you're targeted with laser.

See VEIL Guy's review:

http://www.laserveil.com/laser-detec...adar-detector/

Well the V1 did pretty good but I'd like extra protection. I'm still confused about the video though, how is that M-20 making any noise from a radar gun and the X50 making no noise at all?

Quote Originally Posted by r32faisal
    Well the V1 did pretty good but I'd like extra protection. I'm still confused about the video though, how is that M-20 making any noise from a radar gun and the X50 making no noise at all?
    the m20 only alters with laser. the cop is shooting laser and happens to have a radar gun on in his car. the blinder does not detect radar. why would it?

Quote Originally Posted by ftothe3
    the m20 only alters with laser. the cop is shooting laser and happens to have a radar gun on in his car. the blinder does not detect radar. why would it?
    Ah ok, so is the device he uses for laser seperate from the radar he had turned on? Also, when he was getting hit by laser, why did it take the X50 so long to sound?

Yoda of Radar

Ah ok, so is the device he uses for laser seperate from the radar he had turned on? Also, when he was getting hit by laser, why did it take the X50 so long to sound?
    I did not see the video but the reason why the blinder would sound well before the X50 is because the laser beam is proabbly aimed directly at the heads of the Jammer (headlights or LPlate areas), so that is going off... jamming the LIDAR Unit, and the X50 has to wait for some scatter or something up to it, and with a steady shot the LEO can make it hard for the X50 to get anything.

It has been stated before radar detectors arent really all that great on laser protection. Even the V1 really is not enough (scatter) detection to save you from laser on a day-in, day-out basis. The V1, X50, STi are all solid laser performers ( with the V1 far ahead), and with the right car with Veil and Laser shield they may give you a second or two to slow down, but dont bet your bank on it everytime.

Speed Demon

I didnt watch the video but its most likely because when a cop shoots you, he is most likely aiming at the plate/lights on the your car to get the best reading. An x50 isnt close to those things, so it takes a stray shot or so to get the x50 to detect at close range. where as the blinder heads are right next to those locations.

Professional

First of all, there were two cops. One was shooting Ka and the other was laser (Outrun said it in the video). The detector detected the radar, and the blinder detected the laser when he got hit with it.

So the blinder and the RD were picking up two different cops. I am surprised that it didn't pick up the laser once he was targeted. That is too bad!!!!!!

Yeah that all makes sense.., so the blinder is actually pretty good for a laser detector? I know in some states its illegal to have a jammer, but if it's possible to just have it "detect" (but not try to jam it) then it would be pretty useful. But i'm sure there's a cheaper way to pick up laser signals from that area of the car?

Advanced Member

But i'm sure there's a cheaper way to pick up laser signals from that area of the car?
    A V1 will do it just fine :wink: