1 6.67%
  • Whistler pro 58

7 46.67%
  • Whistler pro 73

7 46.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default Which back up RD?

Im letting my sister have my x50 because she commutes back and forth to school, and i just wanted a back up rd that i really dont have to worry about leaving up when i run into a store. I have my v1 3.826 and love it but, use it on the highway. Well i need a rd that i can used around town.Not that expensive. Any suggestions??

Professional

The pro 58 or the 73, but the 58 is a bit cheaper and works as good in range as the 73

Radar Fanatic

used 8500

and please... dont put cobra as one of the choices

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by f_399
    and please... dont put cobra as one of the choices
    X2...Cobra's Suck :twisted:

I would go with the 58 because it is cheap and works great

Radar Fanatic

i think leo's make the cobra or they work closely with them to ensure drivers using them get ticketed

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by TeamQuack
    i think leo's make the cobra or they work closely with them to ensure drivers using them get ticketed
    Seriously...It wouldn't surprise me. So many people buy Cobra's it isn't even funny. The government is paying Cobra to make ****ty RD's to try and prove to the public RD's are useless. And for the amount of V1's, RX65's, STI's, and X50's I see in vehicles (1 X50 in a Camaro about 6 months ago) It seems to be working :wink:

Professional

I know how s##### cobras are ive owned one, well all it did was detect the entrance to wal-mart, But i do have to admit cobra invest more money in the look of their rd's than their performance... lol Well i guess the true question is 58 or 73 ???????????

Lead Foot

From everything I have read, seen and heard lately...I would probably go with the Pro 58 for a backup.....unless you find the 73 at a really good price.

But speaking of Cobra.......Cobra is actually surviving and thriving these days off of past reputation. While I haven't used one lately, I'm not doubting that they are sub-par today. BUT.....back in the mid 80's, Cobra actually produced a pretty decent radar detector. I think because of price, availability, and past reputation.....that's why many people currently have a Cobra. I haven't had one for about 20 years now......but I use to, and when I did it was actually a VERY reliable detector. I don't remember the model, I just know that it saved my butt numerous times when I was in my teens.

Having said all that, from everything I have heard lately, I think Cobra has decided that SALES are more important than performance. As long as they have the name (and Cobra IS more recognizeable among the less informed than to the enthusiasts), the price point, and the outlets to distribute their products....I don't think they seem to care as much about research and development costs.....

Lead Foot

If you already have a V1, what about the posibility of a stealthy install / hardwire, mixed with a remote display? It'll cost you the same (or less!) and you'll get to keep using your V1 all the time. I would think you would rather have the V1 on your visor clip where no one can see it than have a whistler. Just something worth thinking about.

Professional

Thought about that but i weary to leave my v1 up even if somewhat consealed. Coming from a person who has personally had their vehicle broken into and have two guns stolen has totally change my mind about leaving valuable items unattended.. Plus here in Texas temp easily soar in 100* durring the summer not to mention in the car its about 120*.