Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default In expensive Whistler gonna cut it-1743,1748??????

Never had one,and am not obsessed with em as many seem to be. Wife wasn't crazy bout me spending $55 for a Cobra (9611 I believe) but after all I read here,it will be going back. Yes, I could push it up to 100,but would prefer 50 -60 $ or so. Yea,I realize thats nothing compared to most here.If I was gonna spend 100,might go with Bel exp 795 from what I have seen.BUT, what about WHistler 1743 0r 48? Seem to test decent. OR srt 30r or 35r???

I wouldn't be gettin one but I drive 700-800 miles per week.Got only my second tik a month ago. First one 13 years ago,also at work,also in an adjoining state,doing the same speed on a clear ,dry roadway. Early morning,thinking about other things,got carried away and 13 mph above. !0 econds before,or later,would have been going maybe 4-5 above.But mister jack ball,couldn't give me a warning ,after seeing my record,...after all I am not a hot young chick,or off duty cop! :twisted: :twisted: Thanks for the help,in advance. :wink:

Newcomer

At your price range get a Whistler PRO 58 or the Bel e795.

Professional

I would go for the $60 Bel 795!!!! Much better then the Whistler in my opinion! And you can't get a pro 58 for $50-60...at least I haven't seen them for that cheap. They go for about $80-$100

Professional

People often fail to realize that a speeding ticket is not only the initial $100 or more in fines. It also means increased insurance costs for years. So the real, indirect cost of a speeding ticket can be thousands of dollars - that, and a threat to your driving privileges. When you think of it that way, $300 to $400 isn't a lot of money. For some, it's just a smart investment; but for others it begs the question, how much is your license worth?

I am not saying go out and get a V1. But for as much driving as you do you need at least a $100 RD. For 100 bucks I would go with the Whistler Pro 58. Great Range/Detection for the price. Nothing comes close for 100 bucks

Good Citizen

you can get bel 795 for $59 at radioshack

Banned

Ok was starting to lean toward the Whistler 58,now the bel!!! First one $85 total. Second one,no more,maybe cheaper. What about dispaly? Isn't it better/easier on the Whis. ? What about pop? Looks like Bel has it too or something similar/equivolent. :?: :shock:

Banned

Default Also.....

For the record, I am not a habitual extreme speeder. Usually 4-7 over. When passing or downhill or not THINKING,maybe more. BOTH times I got screwed was going 68 in a 55. BOTH times by a trooper in KY,now in IN. going opposite direction. So if the thing won't help me in that situation, WTF :?: :roll:

Yoda of Radar

Why wouldn't it help you? There are many variables however. You cannot expect a radar detector, particularly a cheap one to save your ass EVERY TIME. Often you will be able to "get out of the danger zone" before the RD even alerts (ie you see people ahead hitting their brakes or you see the cop or you expect him there).

Generally speaking though in your case I would expect a Whistler unit to serve you well. But keep in mind - it's not a license to drive as fast as you want, and you have to gain a feel for it and the roads you travel on to really be able to use it effectively, being able to discern false alerts (well... alerts to non-police radar) from the real thing. If you always drive in new towns and new areas, perhaps something with better filtering (and 3-5 times more costly) would be a better choice.

Anyway I'd look up on www.radarbusters.com on the Pro 58, the Pro73 has a nicer display but is otherwise identical. The Bel 795 is quite an interesting unit - many people rave about it's AWESOME range and performance for such a cheap unit, and other people say that they are pretty poor. I guess the manufacturing variance is rather high on the 795. The 795 has a good chance of being a better performer than the Whistler units but it may be about as good as them, depending on your luck.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgroseclose
    Ok was starting to lean toward the Whistler 58,now the bel!!! First one $85 total. Second one,no more,maybe cheaper. What about dispaly? Isn't it better/easier on the Whis. ? What about pop? Looks like Bel has it too or something similar/equivolent. :?: :shock:
    The e795 does not detect POP. The Whistler unit does.

I have the e795 as a backup detector. It is amazingly quiet for a cheap unit. So quiet, I thought there was something wrong with it until an encounter with a KA constant-on trap and had plenty of warning. The major drawback to it is the display which is like a detector from the 1980s.

Banned

Default Sounds like a toss up

Several for the Whis,several for the bel. Whis seems to have better display. And POP seems essential to me,but looks like bel (in the specs listed) had something similar.BUT I could be EASILY wrong.If the cops systems kick in automatically, it seems ya need something to pick it up,IF POSSIBLE.And although I drive to many other towns,they are usually on a route I am familiar.Not always,but usually. 8)

Here I thought I was getting a good deal on the Cobra at Meijer(REg $119, for $54) but apparently not! :?