Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Drones and coincident police radar (K band)

Hello,
    In PA, apparently almost exclusively K band is used. There are drones setup on most construction signs that use K band. Can a LEO use K band radar in the vicinity of a drone and still get an accurate result (perhaps he would just use a different frequency)? I'm wondering because a drone will set off a bel v985 to maximum and I can't imagine that one would be able to detect a LEO in the presence of that kind of background. Without multiple bogie detection (passport, v1, or rx65) is the only safe thing to do slow down around drones?

Thanks!

Speed Demon

I would slow down if I see any strong K signal. Even if it is a construction zone, out of courtesy (and for everyone's own good) just slow down.

If I were a construction worker and you came flying by me, I would be pissed. It's just being polite.

AFAIK it is also possible for a LEO to use another K band gun in the presense of a current signal, and still receive an accurate reading. So for the sake of your own protection against pulled over as well, slow down if you see any strong K band signals!

Newcomer

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but in PA they just line the highways w/ the drones whether or not there is merit to slow down. I'm talking about routes that I drive reguarly and know the conditions.

Speed Demon

Well if you know the conditions then the decision is yours. But again, as far as I know, LEO's can still use their K band guns in the presence of other K band signals. So be careful.

Newcomer

Thanks, that's the bad news that I wanted to know. Multiple bogie detection is pretty clutch, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Yoda of Radar

Generally the signals will be significantly off from each other to cause no problems. Remember that K band radar is centred around 24.15 GigaHertz. So if the drone and police gun are off by a few hundred cycles, there generally won't be an interference.

However, you could use this to your advantage in a courtroom setting. Usually if there is a drone, and the cop sets up shop, he would just turn off the drone and leave his radar on.

Doesn't the Vector985 have threat display?

Newcomer

the v985 doesn't have bogie count or readout for multiple bogies. It can be set to tech mode, but I don't think this would help because I feel like the drone would overpower a LEO so there wouldn't be a switch. As I said, when approaching the drones the v985 reads max for at least .3 miles. The lack of bogie count is a real black eye for the 985, I think.

w/o multiple bogie count ur sol. time to do some road (drone) cleaning. :twisted:

Professional

Sorry, but I agree, too many construction workers die on the roads as it is. It is best to go the speed limit through a construction zone

Good Citizen

Default Re: Drones and coincident police radar (K band)

Be careful - in NY, if an area is posted as a 'work zone' - even if there are no 'workers' present, they can nail you for 2x the normal fine..

IE: 3am, work zone, speed limit 45 normally 55, you're doin 60..blammo..you're screwed... kinda lame.

Not sure how they handle this by you.