Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default top 3 (4) rear range comparison

i currently have a V1 which i love by the way, just wondering how the x50, Rx65 and STi driver compare in picking up radar from the rear as apposed to the V1. are they comparable? i am asking because the others sem to have slightly to some degree of higher Ka range. will the Ka on the V1 be increased?

Advanced Member

Default Re: top 3 (4) rear range comparison

Quote Originally Posted by againstme!
    i currently have a V1 which i love by the way, just wondering how the x50, Rx65 and STi driver compare in picking up radar from the rear as apposed to the V1. are they comparable? i am asking because the others sem to have slightly to some degree of higher Ka range. will the Ka on the V1 be increased?
    The others aren't even close to the V1 in rear detection, only the V1 has a rear antenna.

Speed Demon

yeah thats what i thought, but they all have bi-directional antennas and was just wondering how they compared.

Power User

yeah thats what i thought, but they all have bi-directional antennas and was just wondering how they compared.
    No. The other manufactures antenna only face forward, it is becuase the radar energy bounces from objects that you can recieve an alert from a source that is behind you.

Speed Demon

that makes sense. is rear detection THAT vital?

Advanced Member

You'll hear arguments either way...
    I say anything that has the potential of saving your ass is a good thing, and it tips the scales a bit more in the driver's favor.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah I mean - what possible downside is there to extra antennae? More falsing? Who cares!

Radar Fanatic

in certain situations it is very helpful. i've had an experience where i shot onto i90, nys thruway and noticed a car like at least 1.5 miles back. if u ever been on i90 around syacuse you know its a pretty straight road. all of a sudden i get a blast of instant-on Ka from the rear and before i got my speed up too much i set my car to cruise at 5 over the limit.

the leo then trolled behind me for at least another 10 miles giving me blasts here and there, waiting for me to take off. the arrows and rear detection in my eyes are priceless.

Power User

One should not dismiss even a weak alert unless they know the source, for that reason, good traditional RD will work just fine, if there is a direct threat behind you, you will be alerted to it. If it is InstantOn, then even the V1 is going to be silent until the officer pulls the trigger, hopefully not on you... that is why even with a RD you still need to be aware of your surroundings, check your mirrors, etc. Is it worth it... sure it is. Can you get by with out it... yes, if you use your head. And if your not using your head as you drive, then a V1 is not going to help you... there are a few cases that people reported getting nail even with a V1.

Old Timer

Default Re: rear detection

This is what sold me on my V1, was the rear radar detection that it has. Mk