Default Getting a detector

Hello, I'm planning on getting a radar detector probably V1. I never had one before so I was just wondering about a few things. I know it will help alot on highway when I'm on my way to work, but will it work in the city(suburbs?). Also the one thing im confused on, do LEOs actualy have to use a radar gun for the detector to go of, or do they have them built into their cars, or what? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Advanced Member
    Police State of Ontario

Yes they work in the suburbs although many automatic doors also use the same frequencys as police radar so the RD goes off alot in built up areas. You get to know the false spots in your area so no big deal

Yes the police have to activate the radar gun or laser gun for the RD to alert. Some radar guns are instant on so there will be no warning if you are driving by yourself with no traffic in front. Some are handheld some are built into the car with front and rear antennaes to be operated as the cop car moves.

Laser is the biggest threat with a narrow beam that may or may not get picked up be the RD. V1 is the best at laser protection

Do a search on Veil and Laser jammers cause an RD doesnt cut it by itself anymore

Read the sticky on Radar Detector 101