Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Double the Bels = Double the protection?

Alright , now I know for some of you this may or may not seem real but it is. I used to have 1 Bel Pro RX65 mounted all the way up on my windshield (no tint)(1999 Camry LE). Anyways I was so impressed by the Bels range of detecting KA ( A LEO exclusive to my area) that I purchased two! One for radar the high mount and one for laser (LIDAR) Well as it turns out KA is not so exclusive to my area as I thought. I received my second Bel about two days ago and mounted it specifically low,but above the wipers by a good inch or so. And much to my surprise they did not make each other false like I thought. Instead I got a LASER alert from (after I went back, reset my odometer, and did it four times for accuracy) a 2.3 mile distance! Now there was one car that was approx 5 car lengths in front of me. That was the first alert and lasted about a good five seconds. Then it was off and on like that all the way up and 0.2 miles past. Bottom Bel only. It wasn't until about 0.4 miles that the top bel received the LASER alert. I was completely shocked, awed, and my face was like this :shock:

There was a LEO sitting on the left "shooting" laser, but I say shooting loosely due to I didn't see him standing outside of the car with a gun in his hand. As a matter of fact it looked like he was doing paper work. But this raises a few questions. First, is LASER mobile? My impression and understanding was that it could only be shot steady and not through glass. Second, could it be the two Bel's reacting to themselves. I never got this alert before and I am curious. Only further observations and time will tell. But what does everyone think here?

Could it be true or is it just me? Please voice your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks in advance

Ace_Racer

Power User

It sounds like you may have had a laser false and coiencidently bumped into a LEO down the road, let me rephrase that, WAY down the road.

A 2.3 mile laser alert = 12,144 feet!

Now your not the first to have experience a wacky ecounter such as this, people have mentioned getting a laser alert and the officer WAS visually shooting laser on the other side of a small hill, how the hell did that happen, and it was a Beltronics RD as well.

Is it possible that you did get the alert from the LEO, perhaps, but highly unlikely. A few forum members have played with laser guns and have been able to target giant road signs at 9000+ feet. So who knows.

Glad to hear you enjoy the performance of your RD. But I will just leave it as do not rely on your detector to normally give you prewarning to laser like that of the InstantOn radar varitey.

Professional

I tend to agree with amoney and that I experienced a laser false. I support this because I visually did not see him or any other LEO outside their car. As for the possibility of the two reacting to one another I am still puzzled, but keeping an open mind to the thought. Also, since laser is so narrow of a beam detecting it that far is I am sure very strange. I forgot to add one thing there are multi housing developments near the encounter and some are still under constuction so it might be that? Who knows. Thanks for the info amoney and to all who contribute to this topic. And yes I still love my RD's as much if not more now because I'd rather have them detect everything and be wrong then nothing and never know!

Thanks again,

Ace_Racer

Professional

outrun has a video of a laser false created by the airport. maybe the two detectors were causing such interference that they interpreted it as a false?

and although while they may not be actively falsing, the two may still be interfering with one another as they detect each other's LO, pausing the sweep for further validity, and eventually throwing it out without alerting. however that means lost time sweeping bands.

but why two? IMO, it would've been better using the money from the second detector for a jammer?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by cell21633
    ... but why two? IMO, it would've been better using the money from the second detector for a jammer?

Well, it is like this. While a jammer would have been a better investment of money they are illegal here in Southern Cali so I don't want to run the risk and fines that follow having such a device. Plus I feel safe with my Bels and I don't exceed the PSL by more than 10 MPH So any warning is a good enough warning. But thanks for the suggestion!

Professional

yeah i was just curious. they are illegal here in illinois too. what's holding me back is being a college student with all funds going towards keeping my school's lawn green and a reluctance to drill into my front bumper to mount the heads.

have you thought about passive countermeasures? veil, lasershield, fake plates?

if you arent joking, please sell that 2nd rx65. it makes no sense to have two. unless theyre for two cars.

Speed Demon

I agree with Cell21633 about taking the money and investing in a jammer instead of another detector. But if you just insist on having another detector for the sole purpose of detecting laser, IMO I would have invested in an X50 for laser. I own both, and the RX65 does not do that great of a job at detecting laser. The X50 would have been a better choice for laser, although running two detectors is not recommended.

Professional

Wow! I never knew that the Bel was poor in laser I always thought the Bel was the best in laser. Ok I am now going to return my second Bel and get either a V1 or an 8500 x50. But I need some advice on which one for laser. I am going with my gut and guessing the V1 is better at laser from the GOL tests and other users on this site. True :?: And don't worry money is absoulutely no object for me. So go with whatever one is better at laser and laser alone!

Ace_Racer

Speed Demon

V1 for laser for sure. X50 is good with laser, but the V1 is fantastic at detecting laser. Hey, since money is no object feel free to buy me a V1 also .