Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving radar

Newcomer

Default Moving radar

On a motorcycle board one of the riders has two radar detectors; one is a newer model (unknown) and the other is an old Trapshooter "Liberty" model. The person claims that when moving radar is kept in "Standby" mode, the vehicle speed radar is kept on, and his old RDD picks it up, whereas the newer model didn't.

The cops in FL (where he lives) leave the radar on standby so they can quickly punch it on if needed.

I know there are two signals used, one to measure the cop car's speed and one to measure the targeted vehicle's speed. I was thinking that a modern RDD would look for both frequencies. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

Power User

Thats an interesting twist of information. I thinks it is just misinformation. When InstantOn is being used, either stationary or moving, while the unit is placed on "hold", there is NO radar energy transmitting what so ever. The unit while in moving mode calculates the speed including the patrol cars speed difference all in a matter of a split second when the hold is released and the radar is transmitted.

Newcomer

oh sh*t...I might sound like a complete dumba$$ right now, because i didnt know it was possible for cops to Radar your speed while they're driving.
    I always thought they would speed up to ypur speed in order to determine the approx. speed.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by NiwPix
    oh sh*t...I might sound like a complete dumba$$ right now, because i didnt know it was possible for cops to Radar your speed while they're driving.
    I always thought they would speed up to ypur speed in order to determine the approx. speed.
    We are all dumba$$es when we first start loving this stuff.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by NiwPix
    Thats called PACING, officers guage need to be accurately calibarated and have certification of such inorder to hold up in court of law, well, small hill billy towns are the exception, they have there own interpretation of laws. Anyways. That is one way they can get you, especially if there are in a unmarkerd car.

They can also get your spped via VASCAR, this is done via timing you between two points. There is also ARBORN VASCAR, little plane over head times you aginst painted white lines accross the road and radios down below for a officer to get you. Both officers need to be present in court inorder for the ticket to stand, although again certain exceptions may exist.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcbikerrick
    I know there are two signals used, one to measure the cop car's speed and one to measure the targeted vehicle's speed. I was thinking that a modern RDD would look for both frequencies. Any ideas?
    There's only ONE signal being transmitted by the police radar. The radar determines the speed of the patrol car and target vehicles from the multiple reflections received back. In a nutshell:

-in oncoming moving mode, the lower doppler return is the patrol car speed, while the higher doppler return is the doppler speed for the patrol car plus the oncoming vehicle speed

-in same lane moving mode, the low doppler is the difference between the patrol car speed and the target vehicle speed, while the high doppler is the patrol car speed.

I've heard tales of a very old radar unit from that did transmit a separate low-power signal for the patrol car speed. It might have been the Kustom KR-11. But that might be the ONLY exception.

Jim

Newcomer

Jim,

Thanks. The old unit may be the case, as my friend is in a retirement area of FL; they don't have laser or KA, just old X 'n K. This explains why he finds this in his area, and doesn't see it elsewhere.

Thanks,

Rick

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by dcbikerrick
    Jim,

Thanks. The old unit may be the case, as my friend is in a retirement area of FL; they don't have laser or KA, just old X 'n K. This explains why he finds this in his area, and doesn't see it elsewhere.

Thanks,

Rick
    Just info... No X band in Florida , rumored to be No POP. :?

Professional

My old unit (MPH K-55 K band) doesn't emit any detectable signal when it's in stand by mode.

Ed

ok this is going to sound dumb but if cops have instant-on, then why bother with POP? why not just instant-on someone and they're either speeding or they're not....