Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1

    Default Window tint and radar detector....good mixx???

    hey guys,
    i just got my windows tinted on my '05 350Z... sweet car in my oppinion i cant seem to stay around the speed limit its really hard... any how i have decited to get a radar detector after reading raday roy' site on radar detectors i have decited to get the The Escort 8500 X50 , only problem i came across is , the tint on my car is 20% metallic, wich as most of you might know contain mettalic particles in the tint ... looks awsome on my car but will my radar detector i want to purchase , work with this tint?? the guy advised me that it affects navigation systems, but i did not think too much about it considering i dont have any nav. system.. soo any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it....

  2. #2
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Worth Texas
    Posts
    760

    Default

    The metallic tint will affect the range of the radar. Tint that does not have the metallic tint usually does not have any affect on radar.

    Now with laser any tint will affect the laser capabilities

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Worth Texas
    Posts
    760

    Default

    and welcome to the board

  4. #4
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Your rear radar detection would be limited but as long as your windshield is not tinited you should be fine

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    If the front glass is tinted with the metallic content, your only option is a remote installed unit like the Whistler 3450, or the Bel RX75

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default Re: Window tint and radar detector....good mixx???

    Quote Originally Posted by emre
    hey guys,
    i just got my windows tinted on my '05 350Z... sweet car in my oppinion i cant seem to stay around the speed limit its really hard... any how i have decited to get a radar detector after reading raday roy' site on radar detectors i have decited to get the The Escort 8500 X50 , only problem i came across is , the tint on my car is 20% metallic, wich as most of you might know contain mettalic particles in the tint ... looks awsome on my car but will my radar detector i want to purchase , work with this tint?? the guy advised me that it affects navigation systems, but i did not think too much about it considering i dont have any nav. system.. soo any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it....
    So where are you in the Great White North? You'd best go with a remote system like those from Beltronics if you have put any of that tint on your windshield. And yes, I bet we all know that 20% metallic tint contains metallic substance :roll:

  7. #7
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Your rear radar detection would be limited but as long as your windshield is not tinited you should be fine
    with the X50 not having a rear antenna, "rear detection" shouldn't be affected since it comes through the front via reflections. since the V1 has a rear antenna, it would suffer but wouldn't know how much since having that rear antenna is better than the reflected reception... things may actually be equal with the metallic tint in back.

  8. #8
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    I have the X50 and my windows are tinted(except the windshield of course) with a metallic tint. Makes no difference in the performance.

  9. #9
    Scratonicity Groupie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,614

    Default

    man, I want to tint the windows on the EVO and I want to use Lumar but I know it will kill my v1's rear detection. I had lumar on my WRX and it just totally got rid of AM reception.

    If I go with a non-metallica tint am I still going to get degraded performance?

    thanks

    staton

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    If I go with a non-metallica tint am I still going to get degraded performance?

    staton
    Not on radar. There would be a possibility of any tint messing with laser, but it would only effect it heavily at night, and even then maybe not much.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. window tint
    By bharv001 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
  2. Window Tint
    By silverado_76 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM
  3. Metallic Window Tint (radar reflection?)
    By Lumberjack93 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM
  4. Detector Performance dependent on Window Tint Type/Darkness?
    By jswitzer in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
  5. Window Tint and Radar Detectors?
    By chrisnigro in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 08:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •