Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Seniors On Patrol

Went through my first speed trap! Man that was fun. I was heading home on my normal route when K band went off. I started to look around hoping I hadn't already been radared, but nothing. Then around a slight right corner and in a large dip in the road I spotted them. Pointed the opossite direction and on the oposite side of the road. I expected to see police only to find 2 senior citizens radaring in both directions. I circled back around 2 more times just to check it out and I picked them up well before I was in visual range going both ways. Anyone else deal with the Senior speed watches. :roll:

Good Citizen

Default Re: Seniors On Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by IH8LIDAR
    Went through my first speed trap! Man that was fun. I was heading home on my normal route when K band went off. I started to look around hoping I hadn't already been radared, but nothing. Then around a slight right corner and in a large dip in the road I spotted them. Pointed the opossite direction and on the oposite side of the road. I expected to see police only to find 2 senior citizens radaring in both directions. I circled back around 2 more times just to check it out and I picked them up well before I was in visual range going both ways. Anyone else deal with the Senior speed watches. :roll:
    Did you ask them what they were doing? Curiosity would have been more than I could have resisted. Was this some kind of vigilante speed enforcement thing? Were you in a trailer park or something? :?

Professional

I've read more than one news article where Seniors or other neighborhood groups were given units, and would collect tags and forward them to the OD. The PD would then send warning letters.

I you ever talk to them, it would be good to ask how much training on the operation of the unit they received?

Around here, the COPS (Citizens Observer Patrol, which has a lot of retired volunteers) uses a car to deploy and pickup the radar sign trailer for a local PD.

Ed

Old Timer

Default X2

X2

Advanced Member

Thats when I like to warp through at about 150k... get those old tickers racing..... like they can read a moto plate

Experienced

Yeah, I'd laugh if I ever say senior citizens setting up a radar trap...thats a complete joke If I've ever heard one..

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by edweird
    I've read more than one news article where Seniors or other neighborhood groups were given units, and would collect tags and forward them to the OD. The PD would then send warning letters.

I you ever talk to them, it would be good to ask how much training on the operation of the unit they received?

Around here, the COPS (Citizens Observer Patrol, which has a lot of retired volunteers) uses a car to deploy and pickup the radar sign trailer for a local PD.

Ed
    They are doing that in Carmel, Indiana. Not with seniors but with neighborhood busybodies. I'm sure this will be really good for neighbor vs. neighbor disputes! Your dog craps in my yard, you're busted next time you drive to work!

Cops will send warning tickets to anyone found to be going 10 over.

Isn't this a violation of FCC rules and regulations. Surely these people aren't licensed! :P

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Well at least Laser shouldn't be a problem what with the shaking and all.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Thats when I like to warp through at about 150k... get those old tickers racing..... like they can read a moto plate

You see them set up.... tape up the LP with 2 things of duct-tape, but leave tabs so its easy to rip off and wear a smoked or mirror shield.

Fly through there at like 120MPH get just outta site... turn around and go back through at 10.

Get out of site, reach back and rip of the tape, and carry on about your mosey way.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    Isn't this a violation of FCC rules and regulations. Surely these people aren't licensed! :P

GTO_04
    I would have to assume so... that is if they are using LEO grade equipment (Jim's Part-90 stuff), then its illegal, but I wouldnt trust them old timers with thousands of equipment....

So they could be using the everyday bushnell stuff (Part-15 stuff).