Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions

Newcomer

Default questions

hi, i'm thinking of getting a new radar detector and i was reading around and apparently, laser is a huge thing now, only been hit once with laser and i didnt get caught so i'm happy. i had a whistler 1748 (i know its not that great) which i recently replaced with a bel express 795 ( for 40 bucks, cant be beat). now i'm thinking of getting a new radar detector, a proper one this time like a valentine or something but i'm not sure which one to get. also, i was interested in getting some sort of laser protection, maybe VEIL or blinders or what not. i mainly drive 2006 odyssey touring, which is kind of big so i'm not sure what kind of protection to give it. i live in new york (near the city) and i mainly travel either to toronto or to maryland. i would like to keep it under 400 bucks but am willing to spend more if its worth it. would appreciate it if you guys could help me out on what to buy to afford me the best protection. thanks a bunch guys.

Good Citizen

Default I think

I think that V1, RX65, x50 or STI driver are all good choices but if you want laser protection then you will need a jammer there are some good choices out there like the Blinder, Laser Pro Park, ZR3, and lidatek for complete protection you will need more than $400 but you said you can go higher then you will need both and maybe Veil and LS depending on your car color.

Radar Fanatic

Most will say that if you are going to get a jammer, you don't need the v1 - most will point you in the direction of the STI because of the greater KA range or whateva.

I personally am thinking of going LPP, so you might want to look into that device - as bbyf suggested.

Newcomer

i'm just curious, are laser jammers legal north of the border? sometimes those canadian border checkers like scanning the outside of ur car. the honda has a parking aid so i'm not sure if i can add the lpp. right now, what i was thinking of veil plus a ls plus the valentine. is there anywhere i can get it for cheaper than 399? i was hoping to get everything under the 500 mark. i go up north at least once a month and its all new york state (i've got a nys trooper pba sticker but people say its useless now a days). and if blinders are legal up north, are the m40's worth the 749 including install? thanks for your help guys.

Radar Fanatic

You can't get a brand new one any cheaper than 399. If you are okay for a refurbed one you can call and get it for a 10% discount. So you are looking at 359, I definatley recommend getting the remote display at the same time - save yourself on shipping - you'll end up ordering it eventually

Professional

Does the Odyssey have that metallic tint on the windshield? A lot of mini-vans do, and if so, it can reduce radar sensitivity by quite a bit.

Good Citizen

What kind of car are you trying to protect so we can point you in the right direction of the jammer????

Newcomer

i dont think it has metallic tint on the windshield, i did a google search and nothing came up, the vehicle is a 2006 honda odyssey touring edition, pictures are here, maybe they'll help you guys in helping me: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/hond...35/photos.html

Newcomer

i think i've settled on the rx65 pro, bel is offering money back if u trade in your old detector (bel or non bel) and its the same price of 329. so i'm thinking of getting some veil and a lasershield for a new york front plate and i should be good (at least better than i was before). which rd should i give, the whistler 1748 or the bel e795 ( i get 60 bucks back for giving the whistler which is around what i paid for it 3 years back, and i get 80 bucks back for the bel which is double what i paid for it, i'm leaning towards giving the bel although it is a decent unit)? also, the touring has a front and rear parking sensor, will that help me against radar? also, should i start saving up for the m40? is it worth the 749 including install? i figure the m20 is too small for van. thanks for your help guys.

Good Citizen

Default the 795

Keep the Bel 795 you will be needing it down the line most likely!!!