Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Recommend a Detector For Calgary, Canada

Ive been looking into getting a radar detector since i got my new car, and ive spent a little time today reading through some posts here.
    One thing that is a lot different for me is that here in Calgary, normal radar detectors are useless because about 99% of radars here are laser radars, and a lot of even the high end models don't give advanced warning to laser.

With that said, it seems to be that Valentine One is the best laser detector, and hence, the best choice for me in my location. Can you guys please comment on anythign else I should know about the Valentine One? Is it really as great of a laser detector as I've been reading? And if not, are there any better laser detectors out there?
    If this isnt a good choice, should I consider getting a radar jammer? One concern about a jammer I have is if it jams the reading for a LEO, wont he realize u have a jammer and come after u and give u a heftier ticket for carrying one of those around?

Thanks guys

Speed Demon

The V1 is great for Laser but you cant count on it to prevent getting a ticket. Ill get an X50 or an RX65 and spend the rest of the money on a Laser Jammer like the Blinder M20 . Just turn the blinder off when you reached the speed limit. And forget the Radar Jammers , they can get you to jail and are not really working. :wink:

Newcomer

oops sorrry yea i did mean laser jammers by radar jammers ops:

Advanced Member

Agree if you're looking to maximize your protection for the $$$ I'd buy the RX65 or X50 and spend the rest on a laser jammer.

Are they legal in Alberta?

Old Timer

Default yes

Spankyaf, radar detectors are legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and B.C. Just some food for thought.

Newcomer

ahhh man thats gonna be a lotta money spent
    wat if i buy a laser jammer, and a cheaper detector like the 925 or 955? would that be a good idea?

Speed Demon

well, if you are sure that most of the speed enforcement is done by Laser , ill get the jammer and buy a cheaper detector like you said. But stay away from the Cobras.

Newcomer

alrite sweet thanks
    yea ill think i do that cuz ppl ive talked to here who are familiar with calgary's LEO say that they almost always only use laser

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by zizou
    alrite sweet thanks
    yea ill think i do that cuz ppl ive talked to here who are familiar with calgary's LEO say that they almost always only use laser
    Calgary COPS only use Laser for "manned" speed enforcement. A few undercover traffic cruisers have KA band units in their vehicles but I have never encountered Instant On with these units as of yet (touch wood). Other enforcement that Calgary COPS use is Photo Radar which is strictly KA band.

Hope this helps.

Advanced Member

Default Re: yes

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    Spankyaf, radar detectors are legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and B.C. Just some food for thought.
    No I meant jammers