Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default The Definitive V1 vs X50 vs RX65 FALSING THREAD

Mythbusting time!

For roughly the last to years, I've been reading in this and other places the mantra of "The V1 is a chatty detector" and "the x50 is like a V1 but it filters out falses better."

Before I start: I'm using the common usage of falsing which is alerts due to non LEO but nonetheless legit radar sources. In this experiment I am not discussing random (no source around) true falses.

Well, I have a V1 an X50 and an RX65 in my arsenal, so I decided to do a definitive test.

My testing ground is a 1 mile stretch of road in Northfield Ohio (a suburb of Cleveland). The test sources: 3 false alarm sources along the 1 mile stretch.
    1. The local CVS -> Kband
    2. The local car dealer -> xband
    3. The local grocery store -> kband

Since I got my Rx65 over a week ago, I decided to run all three detectors I know through the same course mounted at the same position with comparable settings.

Here are the results... and please note these results compare exactly with what I've seen when driving around the rest of the city but I decided to do this test since nobody ever tests how "chatty" detectors are, they just regurgitate mantra.

Results:

V1 (Big L mode) (3/3)
    1. YES
    2. YES
    3. YES

X50 (Auto Mode) (3/3)
    1. YES
    2. YES
    3. YES

RX65 (AutoScan Mode) (2/3)
    1. YES
    2. YES
    3. NO

As you can see the V1 and X50 behaved exactly the same in my testing, the RX65 is the only one measureably quieter on this test.

I'll be posting a much more extensive test soon.

Professional

Lordhamster,

I just want to add that I too have possessed all three detectors at one time and I fully 100% agree with you in that the V1 and X50 are the same and chatty. The RX65 was the definate keeper for me. I must add also that KA is really the only true threat for my town. X and K are possessed :twisted: with security systems and automatic doors. I really don't know why I leave K band on but I figure if I ever leave town and forget I won't be foolishly unprotected. :? I have myself more confused now then I did at the start of this post, but I agree that the V1 and X50 are more chatty (less filtering) and the RX65 is much better (for me)

Ace

Good Citizen

That's an interesting thought. Because I didn't compare both units (V1 and X50) on the same route, I can't say for sure. But, my perception is that the X50 was running quieter. And, this was certainly shown when I was coming up to construction signs where the X50 would actually stay silent longer than it should have and then burst into full alert. Logically, because of sensitivity, the V1 should chirp more often... if unfiltered. Right?

Experienced

hope i made the right choice im trying a v1 out... if its as annoying as some of you say ill be sending it back...

ES13Raven

I have owned all three as well...

Here's the scoop:

The V1 does alert more, and that includes more "falses" too. There are 2 reasons for this, plain and simple: The V1 has higher sensitivity, and a rear antenna.

These 2 facts alone make the V1 alert sooner and longer (because of the rear antenna still picking up the signal after you have passed it).

Higher sensitivity usually means more falses. I get 1/8 falses with my V1 that I do not get at all with my X50 or RX65.

But...

The V1 can be made to be quieter than the X50 and RX65 with the use of Logic Mode and K band muting. :wink:

Good Citizen

Maybe it's a definitive test for your car on your route, but my recent experiences say otherwise - at least in my car and in my locality.

Still, the V1 has become so quiet these days that I wonder if it is still working. Maybe it is homesick for the USA.

Radar Fanatic

I think some of the confusion stems from the following.

In A mode, the V1 is esentially unfiltered. This is a neat informational view, but as far as I'm concerned, the V1 can only be tolerarted in big L mode.

On the x50 there is no unfiltered mode availible... you can select between auto, highway and city. But they are just different levels of the filtering.

The second issue is duration of alert. Once I pass the CVS on my route, the x50 shuts up almost immediately, whereas the V1 holds onto that false for quite a while due to it's additional rear facing antenna. Not so hot for falses, but great if there is a cop driving behind you.

I think that the combination of these two things leads to the perception that the v1 falses more. But I'd challenge anyone who owns both to drive a route with both detectors and count the number (not the duration) of "false" alerts you encounter. I'd bet you'll experience the same exact thing as I do.

The rx65 on the other hand actually does seem to not alert to several places in the city where I've had alerts on my v1 and x50 from false sources. However police and speed signs seem to alert on par with the others. I suspect it is a matter of at which point the detectors decide to "unfilter".

Lets say all 3 detectors get a signal that has a total strength of 100 points.
    The v1 might alert at 25,
    the x50 ight alert at 25 also
    the rx65 might alert at 35
    If the distance from a false source is far enough to fall between 25 and 35 in strength, then you'd see what I'm seeing where a v1 and x50 would alert but the rx65 won't.

Just a guess.

Anyway, Again I call on anyone who has both to run the same route with both detectors and count alerts. You'll be surpised.

Experienced

can the v1 have certain bands turned off?? i am almost sure it can but i wanted to make sure. they really dont use anything but ka and laser her so x and k are pretty much useless from my past experiences here

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by zfactor
    can the v1 have certain bands turned off?? i am almost sure it can but i wanted to make sure. they really dont use anything but ka and laser her so x and k are pretty much useless from my past experiences here
    Zfactor,

Yes all bands can be turned off or on. In my town X and K are infested with NON-CHP (CA) radar sources (i.e. automatic doors and such). No laser yet, keyword yet!

Ace

Good Citizen

The test is flawed.

The problem here is that you are testing the radar detectors against actual radar sources. Practically all detectors are not frequency specific. They will detect all souces within the specified microwave bands. Practically all detectors should alert to the sources you have described.

The filtering is designed to reject leaky LOs, interference on the IF, problems on the front end, and other anomalies. It is not designed to reject actual radar sources.

I believe that the V1 falses more than the other detectors because of the age of the filtering technology used in the detector. Its DSP is too old to process the signals as fast as new detectors.