Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Professional

If the very least get a Bel 895 or bel 955. Same model. Only difference is the 895 is only sold at Radio Shack. Price is $199.99. This bel is way better than any cobra.

PM Radarroy, he'll give you a H@@ of a discount. :wink:

Radar Fanatic

I would agree.... Go with an X50, it's well worth every penny you spend on it. I've had one for a little over 2 years and have never received a ticket. Now of course I know how to use my detector but it def does its job..... You can get a red display for $299.00

Advanced Member

Default Re: Need a quick answer before I purchase this RD

Quote Originally Posted by jazzspot
    No, don't buy it. Cobras are at the bottom of the pack as far as performance.
    Thanks for the advise jimbonzzz. I know darn near everyone hates the Cobra models, but I just need to know if anyone has legitimate experience with the XRS9985 model, that can honestly say without animosity towards the Cobra brand, that this model is not worth buying??

And if not, tell me what other $200 RD is worth buying?

Thanks!!
    Generally, in testing we've used the XRS9700. But with the Cobras, all of the XRS series have then same detection capability, the only difference between model numbers is the features available on the unit. So, expect the 9985 to perform like the 9700 when it comes to radar detection...

Default Re: Need a quick answer before I purchase this RD

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Generally, in testing we've used the XRS9700. But with the Cobras, all of the XRS series have then same detection capability, the only difference between model numbers is the features available on the unit. So, expect the 9985 to perform like the 9700 when it comes to radar detection...

I had the Bel 895 which unfortunately died yesterday. That is the second Bel 895 that has died on me. The power just doesn't come on for some reason. Two Bel 895 units having the same problem. The first 895 lasted two weeks and then I replaced that one with another 895, and that one died after having it 2 months. I bought the Bel 895 at Radio Shack. So when I took the Bel 895 back, I figured they would send it off to get repaired. But the guy at the counter said I could get another detector that they had available. They didn't have any Beltronic units at all!! So I selected the Cobra XRS 9985. I usually research any items that I buy, but since I didn't have time, I selected the XRS 9985. If I bring it back to Radio Shack, they may not give me a refund, since I had the second Bel 895 for 2 months. Also, the Bel units are really hard to find at Radio Shack. They have them on-line, but they are scarce at their stores. Maybe I can sell the Cobra unit on ebay.