Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Affects of paint on Radar?

Does regular paint decrease the signal strength of radar waves passing through a medium such as glass?

The reason I ask is because of this. I'm looking to hardwire my RD, and as part of the install I want to relocate the device to above the rearview mirror... however I don't have clear glass like most cars. Besides having a tint strip, I have black painted dots in the area by the rearview mirror.

So, I was wondering whether anyone thinks that these dots will deteriorate the effectiveness of my RD (none, a little, a lot, etc.). Obviously I'll have to get out there and do some testing on a store door opener, but if anyone knows in general whether the paint I have on my windshield should affect my RD please share! Thanks.

Good Citizen

nice cam :!: I don't know if it will affect it. But I know that since you are using suction cups they won't adhere to the glass and those dots. I tried it and it won't stick to the glass.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by rmv221
    nice cam :!: I don't know if it will affect it. But I know that since you are using suction cups they won't adhere to the glass and those dots. I tried it and it won't stick to the glass.

I disagree, mine are stuck on the dots so the RD looks out right below the dots.

Good Citizen

I think the tint strip allready will block the signals.

Professional

well, the thing is, the suction cups won't suck on those dots, I have already tried that

Radar Fanatic

I have a very strong feeling that it will degrade reception a bit. Like others are saying, The suction cups won't stick as well or not at all depending on the way the dots are intergraded into the glass. I would move the detector up from its current location and position it right below the rear View Mirror. I have mine mounted in this location and am very pleased with the reception range......

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital75
    I have a very strong feeling that it will degrade reception a bit. Like others are saying, The suction cups won't stick as well or not at all depending on the way the dots are intergraded into the glass. I would move the detector up from its current location and position it right below the rear View Mirror. I have mine mounted in this location and am very pleased with the reception range......

Orbital, I have my X50 is almost the exact same place you do. Are you concerned at all about the rearview mirror blocking the rear laser sensor?

Professional

the dot matrix patter will lessen laser abilities, but it should/will not affect microwave reception.

Think about your unit "seeing" laser. if a substrate affects your vision, it will also affect the lens is to recieve the laser beam and reflected scatter.

microwaves will travel through most everything except metal based materials, or materials containing metals.

Tricks people have used to attach the suction cups to the dot patterns were as simple as using a silicone adhesive in the suction cups and taping the mount to the glass until it is dry (not the whole RD, just the mount) if/when you decide to relocate the unit, a razor blade will make easy work of removing the silicone.

Radar Fanatic

Depends on what those dots are made of. At first I thought that it may not affect radar reception. But I moved my V1 a little bit lower than those dots and my K band reception improved slightly on a certain door opener. But it may have been related to mounting it lower and this particular door sensor.

If the dots are some metallic material they would have an effect, otherwise I wouldn't think they would have an effect on radar.

GTO_04

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Slower Joe
    Orbital, I have my X50 is almost the exact same place you do. Are you concerned at all about the rearview mirror blocking the rear laser sensor?
    [/quote]

I would be concerned but laser isn't used in my area. I would say about 20 miles deeper into Charlotte they use Laser tucked in a Van for Photo Radar. When it becomes a steady threat, I will prob just buy a Jammer but for now I'm pretty safe.