Thread: Just an idea

Radar Fanatic

Default Just an idea

You know the romote control senors for your tv that recieve the signal from your remote and then run it through a wire and out the other side to the cable box. Anyway i was wondering if you put the reciever on your license plate and then ran the wire to your detector (the laser reciever on it) woudn't you greatly increase the laser detection on your detector. Just an idea i have no clue if it would work.
    any input

Radar Fanatic

No, for many reasons.

1) most remote recievers are Infared, meaning - they must see it, it goes thru thin stuff like clothes - but definately not metal.

2) The recievers are made for that certain nanometer, thus why "universal" remote controls you ahve to type in the code - because all the tv's vcr's and such work on different lengths of the nanometer. (i think)

Just 2 brief reasons. I'm sure jimbonzz or a smarter guy will be able to tell you an exact reason why.

Yoda of Radar

Well you could make a lightpipe from there to the front of the RD. Couldn't hurt, unless you obscure the front of the RD so it can't see "normally"...

But in any case, you want to pick up scatter, not a direct hit (because then it's too late). So you'd want something around where the RD is... maybe a big bar of sensors from A-pillar to A-pillar along the headliner. Or just make that a big light pipe to the RD sensor.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    No, for many reasons.

1) most remote recievers are Infared, meaning - they must see it, it goes thru thin stuff like clothes - but definately not metal.

2) The recievers are made for that certain nanometer, thus why "universal" remote controls you ahve to type in the code - because all the tv's vcr's and such work on different lengths of the nanometer. (i think)

Just 2 brief reasons. I'm sure jimbonzz or a smarter guy will be able to tell you an exact reason why.
    Well I think bauzer pretty much covered it. The remote control repeaters certainly wouldn't be optimized for police laser.

Of course, a device specifically designed for police laser, with a receiver mounted closer to the common aiming point could buy you a little with detecting direct hits, such as the current remote-mount detectors and jammers do. Many dash-mount detectors (except the V1) come up short in detecting even direct laser hits:

http://www.laserveil.com/laser-detec...adar-detector/

As most people realize, in many direct-hit situations you are basicaly screwed: target speed is usually acquired very quickly, with no time at all to slow down.

But, there are a few situations where a good laser detector can provide you with a level of protection in a direct hit, provided you can depend on your detector to alert you, such as long range targeting, slower acquisition guns such as the Stalker LZ-1 or Laser Atlanta Stealth Mode, or if one has a particularly stealthy vehicle that is a difficult laser target. Also, VEIL and Laser Shield might help buy some precious seconds here.

Such a device mounted by the plate would probably do little to improve detection of "scatter" for pre-warning, though it might help a bit...

Jim