Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drive in virginia sometimes, can u help me pick the right RD

Hello

I live in Maryland, work in washington DC, and occasionally drive in Virginia.

1) Is there any advantage in detection (in terms of range, etc) for remote unit vs. windshield units? IE should I spend all that money for a remote and if so why

2) what's the penalty for having a RD in VA? I keep hearing conflicting things. Can they confiscate it? What if it's a remote? What if it's off? The guy at tweeter told me they can impound your car to remove the remote RD, this sounds crazy.

3) If I get the windshield unit should I have the remote radar shifter installed, is this thing valuable / worth it?

4) radarbusters.com has all kinds of additional things you can get does anyone have any solid recommendations on which ones are worth getting

5) because I drive in VA should I a) don't worry about it, b) just turn it off when I'm in VA/DC or c) spend the extra $$ and get the beltronics STI driver

OK sorry for so many questions, just want to make the right decision here.

Thanks

Miz

Experienced

seems like the only choice would be the sti if you need it to be unknown someone correct me if i am wrong

cant really answer those others though as i never really have driven much in va...

Advanced Member

The penalty for an RD in Virginia is pretty wimpy $90 and they dont confiscate it.

There's one incident reported on the forum of a Va user being issued the ticket solely on the evidence of electronic detection. They never found the unit!!

I'd get the Sti and mount it on your visor using a clip and hardwire of course.

Power User

Default Re: Drive in virginia sometimes, can u help me pick the righ

Quote Originally Posted by mizzles
    Hello

I live in Maryland, work in washington DC, and occasionally drive in Virginia.

1) Is there any advantage in detection (in terms of range, etc) for remote unit vs. windshield units? IE should I spend all that money for a remote and if so why

2) what's the penalty for having a RD in VA? I keep hearing conflicting things. Can they confiscate it? What if it's a remote? What if it's off? The guy at tweeter told me they can impound your car to remove the remote RD, this sounds crazy.

3) If I get the windshield unit should I have the remote radar shifter installed, is this thing valuable / worth it?

4) radarbusters.com has all kinds of additional things you can get does anyone have any solid recommendations on which ones are worth getting

5) because I drive in VA should I a) don't worry about it, b) just turn it off when I'm in VA/DC or c) spend the extra $$ and get the beltronics STI driver

OK sorry for so many questions, just want to make the right decision here.

Thanks

Miz
    If you search this board you will find past posts that answer all of your questions. A short answer is any high end detector will do in VA, it does not have to be a Bel STi. Just make sure it is mounted so it can't be seen from outside the car and it is mounted in a place that won't reduce the range.

Default Mounted

Just make sure it is mounted so it can't be seen from outside the car
    What exactly do you mean by mounted? I thought either a radar detector is remote or uses suction cups on the windshield, so I'm unclear on what mounted means, thanks

Miz

Yoda of Radar

Well, he means not put in a glaringly obvious spot (ie middle of windshield with cord hanging down)

Good Citizen

Local LEO claimed that my radar detector made his radar go off and Im using a x50. I did see a Corolla on the highway with a cheap RD. I dont think he got me cause I have been in and out of VA with my x50 and never been caught. I didnt argue with him and he told me that its only a $40 fine. After I looked at the ticket I saw the $56 court cost. So its a total of $96. I could find better ways to spend $96.

Lead Foot

Don't forget it's illegal in Washington D.C. too, and I have heard they are stricter *if they find it*, though they of course aren't as advanced and most of the time speed traps now are just the cameras, but still something to consider if you work in DC.

Good Citizen

With respect to window vs remote the window units most always have better range because they are higher up then the usual grill/bumper mounted remotes.

With respect to what happens if you get caught in VA they can demand you disconnect the unit. If they can read the serial number they will let you keep it. If not they confiscate it and you get it back at court. This information comes from my next door neighbor who is a traffic judge.

This might get tricky with a remote as disconnecting it to read the serial number may be a PITA. Also since there are not Spectre invisible remote units that I know of you may get nailed by a RDD. There is some disagreement about whether the Va LEO's have Spectre units or not. I read somewhere on this board each State police barracks has one unit.

Speed Demon

If you drive in Virginia I wouldn't risk getting caught.

Get either a bel STi or something concealed at least. I think if you go either of those routes you should be fine.

A cop with a VG2 or SPECTRE won't pull you over if he gets a reading from your car and he can't see anything on the windshield. Just make sure you shut off your detector once you see the cop. You should be fine.

Either way you're going to have to spend a little more than the average windshield mount detector. You're looking at some pretty big bucks here. ($400+)