Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar Detectors

Professional

Default Radar Detectors

Ya know, Just to introduce myself, I am new to the forums and have been reading a few days and trying to learn about different bands and what strategies police use and what radars are good. I recently ordered a Passport X50 "blue" and am awaiting it. I have got a few tickets before but got off my record and have never used a radar detector before. I am 22 years old. But during the time of waiting and reading some of peoples posts, I am questioning whether radar detectors are truly any use at all? Here is why i question. After reading people post's about being zapped by VASCAR and other posts on how a cop zaps ya and your radar goes nuts, he allready got your speed. A radar detector is supposed to be used as a walking stick for the blind man right? But if cops use pop mode or lazer or some other form of sneakyness that there is really no other way around, how are radar detectors truly usefull? Some of the stuff i have read people have allready been zapped when radar detector goes off. The only thing i have noticed a few people getting out of it is using that veil stuff and radar jammers, so if people use that why is a radar detector a big help when you run into situations like that? Also one last question, Its concerning "POP" now pop goes nuts when you get zapped on pop mode right? what good is pop notifying you, you have been popped because no matter what they still got your speed right? Or do you actually have a little time to slow down, and how? Thanks

Radar Fanatic

a radar detector gives an advanced warning of radar and laser.....

some do it better than others.. if you watch where you speed ie keeps your eyes open and the detector turned on.... it may just give you a warning to slow down before you go into a trap!

ie photo radar, static and moving radar!

laser is a different story...... some detectors can give you and advanced warning to laser but thats only if they target traffic infront of you before they target you!

Professional

Is lazer basically "POP" or similar?

Radar Fanatic

Laser guns just use a beam of light that reflects off of your car and gives them a speed reading. It's practically instantaneous and extremely hard to detect because the beam does not diffuse much from its very narrow path. Some times you'll pick it up before it's your turn, most of the time you won't. Veil helps by absorbing the light so that they don't get a reading until you are very close. This way you have a little bit of time to slow down (but not much.) In this case it is essential to have a good detector.

Radar can be run in two modes: Constant and instant-on. In constant, it's always transmitting and no problem to detect well ahead of time. In instant-on mode it only transmits when the cop pulls the trigger to clock a car that he already thinks is speeding. Detectors are still useful because it will pick up signals from the cop targeting the cars ahead. Pop radar is exactly the same thing except that the signal is much shorter so not all detectors can pick it up. It's also non-evidential so it must be followed by conventional instant-on to lock a speed prior to a traffic stop.

A common misconception is that drivers with detectors are invincible. We're NOT. The odds are just a little more even. Anybody driving at a ridiculous speed is going to get caught eventually, detector or not. On the other hand, those of us who drive just a bit fast and really pay attention to our surroundings (probably most of the experienced people here) will find a good detector to be an extremely valuable tool. So we drive quickly but safely, and the cops still get the people who are truly a danger.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    Is lazer basically "POP" or similar?
    Laser uses a IR light and is legal to jam in some states and a jammer and/or VEIL is the only protection you can get from laser

POP is a new form of radar and it is not legal for cops to issue tickets using a gun in POP mode. POP really isn't much of a threat yet until it becomes legal to issue tickets with
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instant on radar can be deadly and hard for many detectors to pick up an advanced warning unless you have a quality detector. And if the cop is only targeting those fast moving cars and you happen to be the only fast moving one you are screwed.....You can still speed (no more than 15 over) and be safe with your detector as long as you are smart and leave some fast moving cars in front to get the cop to activate the radar giving you a warning from the detector also be vigilant watching the tops of hills not speeding that much over them and easy scannign the road ahead for cruisers

VASCAR is tricky and your best bet is not to speed through states that use VASCAR

Lastly a radar detector is not a Cop detector, it will only detect "things" running radar

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

You can definately still get a ticket while using a radar detector. But the way I look at it, there's a pretty high probability that it will help you to avoid at least one ticket in its lifetime. Considering the cost of fines, insurance premium increases, and lawyer fees (not to mention points and time spent in court), if you avoid just that one ticket, then the detector has more than paid for itself. So why not have one?

Good Citizen

I love my X50 and I'm sure you will too. Take advantage of the different modes (mainly H on highway and A in towns).

Also if you want some laser defenses without spending an arm and a leg, radarroy sells a "laser shield" plate cover that I'll prolly be buying soon. Also VEIL works wonders from what I hear.

Old Timer

To me, this is a game. Its a game of cat and mouse, and we are the mice.

It takes a lot of money and strategy to speed without getting a ticket, and I love it.

To counter laser, go with some veil and get a laser jammer. Radar- get a radar detector. If you are worried about POP, dont be. POP is not widely used, and is only supposed to be used to take an estimate of your speed. If you are speeding, they should switch over to a constant band to take your speed (by then you should have a good time to slow down) and if you are pulled over, without a warning from your jammer or your detector- you know you have been POPed without the officer turning over to a different source to get your speed. Should be alright to fight in court, but POP just isnt used! Nevada, Arizona and Texas are the places that use it, and last I heard navada was recalling them.

I have spent over 700 bucks on this game that we play, and I cant tell you how many times its paid itself off. 700 bucks, and I have saved more then 1000 easily in court costs, tickets, and isurance hikes. Not to mention that 2 times it saved me from having my license cut up and my butt thrown in jail. 1 being radar and 1 being a laser encounter. Believe me, its worth it.

Professional

Long time voyer first time poster here.

I just have one question on this subject. Z06Vette if you think that radar detectors are not worth it why did you order one?

I think once you get your radar detector and learn it you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Enjoy the new toy!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    To me, this is a game. Its a game of cat and mouse, and we are the mice.

It takes a lot of money and strategy to speed without getting a ticket, and I love it.

To counter laser, go with some veil and get a laser jammer. Radar- get a radar detector. If you are worried about POP, dont be. POP is not widely used, and is only supposed to be used to take an estimate of your speed. If you are speeding, they should switch over to a constant band to take your speed (by then you should have a good time to slow down) and if you are pulled over, without a warning from your jammer or your detector- you know you have been POPed without the officer turning over to a different source to get your speed. Should be alright to fight in court, but POP just isnt used! Nevada, Arizona and Texas are the places that use it, and last I heard navada was recalling them.

I have spent over 700 bucks on this game that we play, and I cant tell you how many times its paid itself off. 700 bucks, and I have saved more then 1000 easily in court costs, tickets, and isurance hikes. Not to mention that 2 times it saved me from having my license cut up and my butt thrown in jail. 1 being radar and 1 being a laser encounter. Believe me, its worth it.
    I don't speed to save time. I speed because of the thrill of jamming a cops laser gun and knowing I'M THE MAN when it happens Now if I'm pulled over because the cop was pacing me that is also fun because if I get a ticket then I can prove I'M THE MAN when I kick his butt in court :-) Okay, well may I don't kick his butt, but the lawyer sure does!