Default a little "POP" experiment..

Just for the heck of it I got out my old whistler 2se and used another radar detector as a k band radar source. I quick triggered the source and without fail the 2se picked up the signal everytime(it has to "reset again" per instruction manual before it will do it thou :wink: ).. Makes me wonder if these older whistlers with "pulse protection" might be able to pick up "pop mode" also... :wink:

Until someone tests one with an MPH POP unit I guess we will never know the answer.. :wink:

btw not all detectors will pick up a radar signal that is quick triggered as you might already know.." :wink:

well since most radar pop is in ka band and my 2se only pick up ka in the photo/radar range I guess this question isn't important...unless pop is in the photo/radar range.... :wink:

Newcomer

Can someone explain this 'POP' business to me.

What do cops prefer to use, and where? Like stationary, movement..etc..
    I've seen a camaro cop use, what i thought was laser, b/c he was out of his car, and shooting at people coming over a hill...it looked like he was 'sniping', and ready to jump back in is car too.

Also, look at this pic =>
    http://www.laserveil.com/images/nj-r...peedtrap-1.jpg
    Is this something to really beware of -- since much probably can't get back to the detector?

Radar Fanatic

I thought there was a good explanation of POP somewhere on the board but I can't find it easily. The short story is that POP is a 67ms or 16ms burst of radar on K or Ka that is very difficult to detect. It is a feature on several MPH industries guns made starting in ~2001. The extraordinary shortness of the burst is what distinguishes it from standard instant-on radar. There are some questions as to its accuracy, so POP is not supposed to be used to issue tickets. Instead, officers are supposed to POP traffic to get a rough idea of a vehicle's speed and then use standard instant-on to take a valid reading.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I thought there was a good explanation of POP somewhere on the board but I can't find it easily. The short story is that POP is a 67ms or 16ms burst of radar on K or Ka that is very difficult to detect. It is a feature on several MPH industries guns made starting in ~2001. The extraordinary shortness of the burst is what distinguishes it from standard instant-on radar. There are some questions as to its accuracy, so POP is not supposed to be used to issue tickets. Instead, officers are supposed to POP traffic to get a rough idea of a vehicle's speed and then use standard instant-on to take a valid reading.
    I must beg to differ. The reason why cops can't use the POP reading to issue a ticket is because there is no audio doppler tracking history. I have tested the POP with over 200 trigger pulls and it never displayed a speed that was more then 1 mph off. I used a tuning fork. MPH claims that POP is accurate, but case law doesn't support it because no tracking history is present.

Quote Originally Posted by MPH Industries
    MPH recommends that the officer obtain a tracking history of a speed violator by operating the radar in normal transmit mode after determining with POP mode that the vehicle is speeding. This is because most radar case law is based on tracing a vehicle in normal radar operation. The information obtained in POP mode is accurate and reliable, but may not be supported by case law in court.
    Read more about it here http://www.mphindustries.com/product...radar_pop.html

Newcomer

According to their site, they've 'defeated' radar detectors.
    Have they? It looks like they might've, since if its really that hard for detectors to detect from a reasonable distance, we're out of luck (or at least, i am

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Micky
    Have they? It looks like they might've, since if its really that hard for detectors to detect from a reasonable distance, we're out of luck (or at least, i am
    It's a temporary defeat as with all new technology. This is one that I think the detector makers will be able to figure out because, unlike laser, physics doesn't prevent it from being done.

Experienced

What do you mean by that? If it becoms legal to issue tickets with just POP mode, the radar detectors will become as usefull as they are with detecting laser (and how usefull is that you can read in other threads on this forum) mind you, you don't have a veil or blinder to help here.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Nothegger
    What do you mean by that? If it becoms legal to issue tickets with just POP mode, the radar detectors will become as usefull as they are with detecting laser (and how usefull is that you can read in other threads on this forum) mind you, you don't have a veil or blinder to help here.
    Laser is such a pain because it's a concentrated beam that barely diffuses if at all. In general you can only pick up the signal if you are hit directly, and even then sometimes a detector won't alert. POP is a different story. It's hard for the electronics to detect, true, because they simply aren't fast enough (and possibly not smart enough.) But that POP signal diffuses and propagates just like any other K or Ka radar signal. You can pick it up down the road. That's why I say that physics isn't the problem. It's just that our technology needs to improve, and I believe that the detector companies will eventually rise to the occasion. Does that answer your question or am I missing something? (I'm a little under the weather today so I might be a little thicker than usual.)

And all apologies for my inaccuracy regarding the accuracy (ha) of POP. Too much time spent on Valentines website, perhaps. ops:

Newcomer

Does POP have a shorter range than instant on or constant on?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Micky
    Have they?
    depends on the gun. check out JammerTests Webmaster's site, he tested X50 and RX65, plus V1 but turns out it might not have been a POP model so will be re-tested.

http://www.jammertests.com

(POP are at the bottom, for now)