Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Poor mounting practices

I can't tell you how many times I see a car with a RD on the windshield, only to see it pointing nearly straight up!! Saw a late model Celica the other day with a RD in it, pointed at a super steep angle. Not quite straight up, but darn close. My wife said he was probably trying to detect VASCAR. Not a minute later, a state police 'copter went over!

Sometimes I'd like to know what these people are thinking...

(BTW, these are never X50s, RX65s, or V1s that I see doing this, guess when you spend $300+ for a RD you know what you're doing.... or the mount is better! :wink: )

Default Re: Poor mounting practices

Quote Originally Posted by robert
    I can't tell you how many times I see a car with a RD on the windshield, only to see it pointing nearly straight up!! Saw a late model Celica the other day with a RD in it, pointed at a super steep angle. Not quite straight up, but darn close. My wife said he was probably trying to detect VASCAR. Not a minute later, a state police 'copter went over!

(BTW, these are never X50s, RX65s, or V1s that I see doing this, guess when you spend $300+ for a RD you know what you're doing.... or the mount is better! :wink: )
    It is a little known fact that you can get much much better range this way. Radar signals can actually bounce off the ionosphere and back to a radar detector. Of course you may be detecting a policeman running traffic radar in another county.... :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Do radar signals bounce off the ionosphere? I'd think them to be WAY too high frequency for that no?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stalkervision

It is a little known fact that you can get much much better range this way. Radar signals can actually bounce off the ionosphere and back to a radar detector. Of course you may be detecting a policeman running traffic radar in another county.... :wink:
    I take it you're being sarcastic? Radar detector makers recommend you keep the detector level.

Yoda of Radar

I have got one better, I have seen 3 people in the last 15 years but still.....mount them to the dash with the LED display facing out..... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkervision

I take it you're being sarcastic? Radar detector makers recommend you keep the detector level.
    :wink:

Power User

I saw this ricer in MD one time and he had this cheap A$$ detector. Looked like it was barely hanging on the mount. It was mounted high and pointed almost straight up. Laughed when I saw the dumba$$.

Professional

so where is the best place to mount a radar detector on the windsheld? real high right below the tint or low low almost on the dash or in the middle of the windsheld i keep mine in the middle

Professional

I mount mine just a bit lower than my rearview mirror, and facing straight vertically, so straight and somewhat high. Is that too high?

Good Citizen

I think the best rule of thumb is this.... use your rearview mirriow as a judge, center the detector right in the middle of the mirror, and right below it (enough so the rear attenna can "see" behind you) that way you have it right in the center of your window. I use to have mine way up high, and i notcied that the detection is a lot more sensitive when below the rearview mirrior ( the tint was normal - 5%) So try this....

- jordan