Newcomer

Default Laser photodiode

I know some basic electronics but not enough for the following:
    :idea:
    Is it possible to design a circuit for a laser detector from small photodiodes that have a narrow sensitivity around 904nm wavelength?

The purpose of this would be to have a couple of "904nm detectors" hidden in the front grill just beside the headlights, and the back. Used with Veil, it could advise the driver from laserguns without having to have a RD low in the windshield, visible to cops....

I've found some part numbers of such photodiodes that seem to apply with google but I don't know if it would be reliable (false alerts,...)

Thks,

looking into getting rx65+veil

Good Citizen

Photodiode alone wont be enough, you need preamp and amp also, preferably metal shielding and power supply filters as well.

Newcomer

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'll see if it can be done "easily".

Radar Fanatic

I had thought about buying a cheapo detector and removing the laser diode from the circuit board and placing it by the plate, but I don't know if it would cause any problems. Also, I have no way to test it, so I wouldn't know if it was working anyway.

Good Citizen

You have to remove the whole Laser module and not only the photodiodes (some RDs dont have the photodiodes but embeded chip with IR sensor on top of it, like Uniden). In case of X50 that is imposible because Laser circuit is on the same board as the rest of the RD. Messing with RD like that could disable the thing for no apparent reason. You are better off with mounting a complete cheapo RD in waterthight transparent box or bag near the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by antilaser
    You have to remove the whole Laser module and not only the photodiodes (some RDs dont have the photodiodes but embeded chip with IR sensor on top of it, like Uniden). In case of X50 that is imposible because Laser circuit is on the same board as the rest of the RD. Messing with RD like that could disable the thing for no apparent reason. You are better off with mounting a complete cheapo RD in waterthight transparent box or bag near the plate.

The whistler remote 3400 has a lazer sensor remote that is suppose to be mounted inside on the windshield. All it needs is for someone to put it into a clear watertight case and mount it right next to the license plate to do what you want... 8) You may have to wire up a longer cord to it to reach that far forward thou...? :wink: