Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Driving fast / radar detectors.

I really like the V1 that i've owned - but i really haven't (yet) come across many cops to actually see how it works, and so i feel i'm driving at risk.
    At first i thought they were cool, but at least for me, i have a crappy car, and when i drive 100+MPH i feel like i might break the transmission and cause it to overheat, even though i have a transmission cooler installed. Is driving fast @ 3700-4000RPM for sustained periods (1 hour) bad for an automatic transmission? Having said this, i almost feel that my V1 is useless b/c i can't use it to its max potential.

So i'd just like to know whether 100+MPH @ 3700-4000RPM is bad for an automatic trans & engine on a dodge avenger v6 (a604 trans).

THanks

Yoda of Radar

A604's tend to blow up when you look at them at oblique angles

High-rpm high-speed crusing isn't really that bad. But the accleration up to that speed puts a lot of stress. When you are moving statically at a fixed speed there really isn't any problem.

Keep in mind your detector isn't a "magic pill" that will solve all your "enforcement" difficulties. Only drive fast when you can do so safely, both on a physical side and on the financial side as well.

Newcomer

I agree. I dont do high speeds ~ 90+ when there's too much traffic. But i'm just worried about messing up my car, more than anything. In the city, i almost never pass 2200RPM, and yea, when reaching ~ 90mph i do it slowly.

I also keep reading that several people 'send back' their V1 for repair. I mean, i get some Ka and K readings but i never can see the cop? I really dont know what to think at this point.

Yoda of Radar

Those are generally what are known as "false" alerts. There seems to be a few faults in the V1 false-alert suppression software recently.

Your car has a fairly high-revving smooth V6. There is no danger in revving the motor to 6000r/min on occasion. In fact, running the engine fast occasionally at high throttle (ie heavy acceleration or high speed) is a good thing for the motor as it allows carbon deposits in the combustion chamber to be "burned out" pretty well... back in the day they called that an "Italian Tuneup"...

Professional

I have some video of Instant On Ka band my V1 picked up... on my BMW meet's road trip yesterday (saturday 5/21). Have to load in on my computer. you cannot see the cop, but you can see the speed we were running at... 120-145... then BAM, instant on... scurred the poop outta me as i had to drop the camera and tell my friends on the 2way radios to shut it down!

Even at those speeds the V1 picked up the cop in plenty of time...

I need to find the firewire cable so I can transfer the video. I'll post it in the video sections, along with a desciption of what happend. hopefully soon.

Newcomer

wow that is nice -- M3s own Mine would redline/overheat/&die at 140mph probably!! When you say 'plenty of time' how far away approximately did it pick him up?

Hey tell me how i should handle this situation:
    I'm on the freeway doing say 80 or so...(in the all bogey mode)..and if i hear an X band beep..i usually do nothing...now, i should slow down ANY time i hear a K or Ka, right?

I'd feel like an idiot if i hear a Ka, stomp my breaks, and other people fly by and nothing happend -- this happened several times, but i dont know what happened. I've sent my V1 for an upgrade 2 wks ago..and i've had the 'J' thing come up only once in the city...

I need to find more cops and test my V1 out...its killing me, there's no cops anywhere, lol.

Advanced Member

You need to learn where the falses are in your area

Newcomer

Yea i know where the falses are in the city and on the freeways where i go, but the areas where theres no falses, i get some K / Ka and i dunno where its coming from. Is it a false from another car, or maybe an actual cop. Many times i haven't spotted the cop.
    SInce i've owned the V1, honestly i hit a cop like 2-3 times, and thats it.
    I'd really like to be proud of it but as of yet i just gotta wait untill the right time comes and takes your guys` words on how good it is.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Micky
    I'd feel like an idiot if i hear a Ka, stomp my breaks, and other people fly by and nothing happend -- this happened several times, but i dont know what happened. I've sent my V1 for an upgrade 2 wks ago..and i've had the 'J' thing come up only once in the city...

I need to find more cops and test my V1 out...its killing me, there's no cops anywhere, lol.
    I have the x50 and I pick up a lot of ka alerts from the OTHER side of the freeway. Personally I still slow down, but I don't slam on my breaks unless it gets to almost full tone or POP. Its worked for me ever since I've gotten it, and the only thing i've ever gotten a ticket for (knock on wood) is window tinting on my old car, I had blacked-out limo (10%) tint on both passenger and driver, as well as the rear windshield. Even with the tint, the x50 did VERY well at picking up KA alerts.

Lead Foot

be carefull about the false like in this exemple...

"Your Speed is" Sign Shoothing K-Band
    -You reaction: you don't slow down because you "Know" that its a false then...

Behind the Sign you have a police shooting radar at you on the same K-band :shock: