Quote Originally Posted by Menace
Yes I have to agree, they do help tremendously so long as you don’t buy a radar detector thinking its going to make it impossible to get pulled over or that it is a cop detector. I feel your pain because I live in upstate NY myself, and the NY state troopers seem particularly good at finding stealth spots to snipe you from and are excellent at sneaking up on you.

Any three of the top tier Radar detectors are above all tools, and they give you a wealth of information, once you get used to your radar detector you’ll be able to make fairly accurate decisions on when and where you’ll be able to exceed the posted speed limit with very low risk and know when your in a scenario where you simply cannot speed.

In moderate to light traffic on a route your familiar with ------ a RD gives you enough information to know when you can break the posted speed limit with minimum risk.

At night time driving home when your one of the only cars on the road ------ there is just no way you can speed ------ the Troopers are way to good at sniping you with instant on KA, and although the newest generation of laser jammers are making laser almost a non factor, there is no way to defend against instant on KA if you are driving alone.

Bottom line, if radar or laser is being used on the route your on, its better to know then not to know even if your not speeding ------ you have to know your enemy’s equipment and the way they think, you’ll have to anticipate where you would be able to hide if it were you trying to catch speeders ------ the detector will help you understand LEO’s very quickly with regard to their traffic enforcement profiling techniques and methods
as nerdy as that sounds, I have to admit.....im the same way after a year with my X50, it just kinda grows on you