Radar Fanatic

Default SML's Cross Section Report

They approached at 30 mph. The range of the radar gun was confirmed by the Laser Atlanta laser gun set in the range mode. When the officer obtained a speed reading with the radar gun another officer fired the laser to determine the radar capture range. When exposed to laser, the gun gives both speed and distance. The capture of the radar and laser guns on both runs with the Chevy HHR were identical, i.e. the radar capture range was 1.51 miles and the laser capture range was 1.7 miles. We then turned the sights to the Harley, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. The radar gun captured the Harley at 1.54 miles, the Yamaha at 1.53 miles, and the Kawaski at 1.58 miles. The laser gun captured the Harley at 1.6 miles, the Yamaha at 1.4 miles, and the Kawaski at 1.3 miles.
    Radar Cross Section Testing

in miles/10ths
    Vehicle Radar Capture Range Laser Capture Range
    Chevy HHR 1.51 miles 1.7 miles
    Harley 1.54 miles 1.6 miles
    Kawasaki 1.58 miles 1.3 miles
    Yamaha 1.53 miles 1.4 miles

As the results clearly show new digital radar guns and infrared laser guns have no problem targeting and obtaining a valid speed reading of a motorcycle at the same distance of a mid-sized automobile. The predominant headlights of the bikes make excellent targets for the laser guns and regardless of the fiberglass cowlings the digital radar guns make these bikes easy prey.

This Means that if in a car, a police offer with a stalker ka band can get your speed from over a mile and 1/2

Power User

Default Re: SML's Cross Section Report

Quote Originally Posted by richardboy316
    They approached at 30 mph. The range of the radar gun was confirmed by the Laser Atlanta laser gun set in the range mode. When the officer obtained a speed reading with the radar gun another officer fired the laser to determine the radar capture range. When exposed to laser, the gun gives both speed and distance. The capture of the radar and laser guns on both runs with the Chevy HHR were identical, i.e. the radar capture range was 1.51 miles and the laser capture range was 1.7 miles. We then turned the sights to the Harley, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. The radar gun captured the Harley at 1.54 miles, the Yamaha at 1.53 miles, and the Kawaski at 1.58 miles. The laser gun captured the Harley at 1.6 miles, the Yamaha at 1.4 miles, and the Kawaski at 1.3 miles.
    Radar Cross Section Testing

in miles/10ths
    Vehicle Radar Capture Range Laser Capture Range
    Chevy HHR 1.51 miles 1.7 miles
    Harley 1.54 miles 1.6 miles
    Kawasaki 1.58 miles 1.3 miles
    Yamaha 1.53 miles 1.4 miles

As the results clearly show new digital radar guns and infrared laser guns have no problem targeting and obtaining a valid speed reading of a motorcycle at the same distance of a mid-sized automobile. The predominant headlights of the bikes make excellent targets for the laser guns and regardless of the fiberglass cowlings the digital radar guns make these bikes easy prey.

This Means that if in a car, a police offer with a stalker ka band can get your speed from over a mile and 1/2
    your point is.................

Radar Fanatic

i didnt know that..i thought a radar gun could only pick u up from between 1/4 mile to 3/4..how far away can one get a reading

Power User

i didnt know that..i thought a radar gun could only pick u up from between 1/4 mile to 3/4..how far away can one get a reading
    really it depends on the strength of the unit, if it holds its signal strength long enough you can hit a target fairly far away, but 1.5 miles to write a ticket, the LEO has no way of verifying WHO is speeding, so really like a half mile is all you really need

Radar Fanatic

even if ur the only car on the road?

Power User

even if ur the only car on the road?

hmmmmmmmmmm.............if you put it that way, I dunno, but ideally you shouldnt be speeding if youre the only one on the street anyways........YES i just dodged the question but thats my view of it

Professional

yes he can issue a ticket at that distance, he will just be doing what hey always do, Guess as to who was speeding!! and issue tickets randomly.

Half the time they do not know what or who caused the reading, And then you got the cases where it is a reading caused from outside interference and ticket a car anyways.

Stealthcb

At that distance, the diameter of the radar beam should be wide enough to cover almost the whole road, meaning he could be hitting anyone on it. If you're alone -- well, you're screwed. But if there are multiple vehicles, you should be safe enough by slowing down.

I've seen judges and cops talking about how wide a radar beam is at certain distances, and using that to prove they were targeting one car without interference from others, so it should be useable in a defense as well.

Lead Foot

With a laser gun the cop still can not give you a ticket over 1000ft

not supposed to anyway..

Advanced Member

They can ticket over 1000, and often do. They are not trained to limit targeting to under 1000 feet.

The court ruling limiting it to 1000 feet was only in New Jersey, and only pertained to the LTI 20/20. Of course if someone gets a ticket over 1000 feet, they could cite this case. Whether that by itself would make much of a difference is difficult to say...