Lead Foot

Default mixed responses about mounting here.

the spot thats is circled in blue in the upper left is where id like to mount my x50, but im concerned thats since the windshield curves it puts the detector in a position where it is not facing directly down the road and faces a little to the left. will this gurt my performance in anyway or will it be fine? right now its in the red circle but its basicaly the center of my windshield and im not liking it to much(it will be hardwired when i find a good spot)

Radar Fanatic

When I was mounting my detector, I faced the same problem. My windshield curves just as yours does and makes the detector point a little to the right. It's always best to get your detector as straight as possible to optimize range. Having it point off to the side makes you lose a good bit of detection. It would have a huge affect on laser. Since you've decided to mount high and optimize radar range, I wouldn't worry too much about laser. I think your best mounting position would be right below your rearview mirror. This is the location I have my X50 mounted and I am very pleased with it's detection range. Also, not only will it be completely straight in this position but you'll also be able to use your sun visors. Hope this helps.......

Yoda of Radar

That blue spot just to the left of the mirror should be ok... It really would depend on your car... but since it looks to be only 6-8inches off center of the windsheild, you shouldnt notice much difference in radar... unless your windshield is shaped like the Oscar Mayer mobile

Seriously though putting the detector just to the left/right of you RVM shouldnt be much of a problem (depending on your windshield actually, only you can really tell), just try to tuck it as close to possible to it that you can... or maybe even ontop of it, the spot under it isnt bad either (that would actually be the spot I would tell you to put it).

Lead Foot

i think im just going to leave it where it is i moved it up a little, but from the outside its like directly in the middle of my windshield whch is the only problem. owell

Power User

I have mine placed in the area where the Blue circle is to the left of the RVM, it works fine, only down side is that I cant put down the visor...oh well I can live

Lead Foot

when i go out tomorrow ill experiment with differant spots but unless i find something better im gonna hardwire it in the center.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by xxbillay
    when i go out tomorrow ill experiment with differant spots but unless i find something better im gonna hardwire it in the center.

RADAR range wont vary too terribly much, its really LASER range that is highly affected by location, up by the RVM kiss it goodbye, unless you catch some scatter

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    Quote Originally Posted by xxbillay

RADAR range wont vary too terribly much, its really LASER range that is highly affected by location, up by the RVM kiss it goodbye, unless you catch some scatter
    I just kiss my butt goodbye anyway when it comes to laser lol. Most cops locally don't use it here thank god.

Putting it up by the blue circle to the left of the RVM will not have any impact on your Radar reception. Laser, as you are aware, suffers from the high mounting location but your f'ed already anyways from laser so who cares, haha (although I've only been shot by laser twice since and it picked it up both times).

I put mine to the opposite side you are thinking. I LOVE it compared to a low/mid center mounting position. And hardwiring it all nice and clean... it's perfect and very stealth (you don't even know I have a RD unless you are really close and looking for one). My passenger can even put their sun visor down to straight up and down (just can't swing it any further toward the windshield or it hits the detector). And I did testing w/the positions of the RD and no negative impact on Radar reception was noted (actually a slight increase in range was found)... so like said, unless you drive the oscar meyer weiner mobile where your RD would end up pointing sideways as oppose to slightly off-center, you won't suffer any performance loss.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...ighlight=paint