Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Why not purchase from Ebay?

I plan to buy my second radar detector, and rx65 is currently my primary choose. I know radarbusters.com is a good place, and it has lots useful infor. But when considering the price difference, $330 vs $200, that means a lot to me. I know that ebay RDs don't have any factory warranty, but considering that you can buy a 3 year warranty from Square Trade for $20, this is really better than 1 year factory warranty. After you know your RD is warrantied for 3 years, the $100 price difference really stands out to me. Please give me your advise if you still believe it is a bad idea to purchase from ebay.

Lead Foot

Ebay is always risky for anything....if its not the newist Rev {version} of the detector..its not worth it...any problems a day or 2 or a month after you buy it....radar roy will take care of you not ebay..

Radar Fanatic

I got my 1st V1 off ebay and it was perfect. Look at their rating and read feedback, ask questions. If it says new in box, there is also a possiblity of it being a refurb unit. Just be careful, and read every word on the page.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Why not purchase from Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by h711
    I plan to buy my second radar detector, and rx65 is currently my primary choose. I know radarbusters.com is a good place, and it has lots useful infor. But when considering the price difference, $330 vs $200, that means a lot to me. I know that ebay RDs don't have any factory warranty, but considering that you can buy a 3 year warranty from Square Trade for $20, this is really better than 1 year factory warranty. After you know your RD is warrantied for 3 years, the $100 price difference really stands out to me. Please give me your advise if you still believe it is a bad idea to purchase from ebay.

Does not sound bad. Do you know of anyone who has tried to use the square trade warranty and if so did it work? I had a warranty through a ebay dealer and he "went out of the radar detector business". I found out a couple months later he just changed usernames to avoid honoring any of the warranties he sold under the previous name. He has changed names again since then. I guess he changes about once every year and a half or when he starts to get a lot of warranty issues he can't honor. I bought my x50 from Roy and have had only positive experiences even when it had a problem. PM Roy and see what he can do for you on a new detector and then make your decision. Remember on ebay you are probably getting an older or refurbished unit at best and hopefully not a damaged unit with an empty promise of a warranty. Good Luck!

Professional

the warrenty could be BS

Newcomer

Although I never used Square Trade before, I know it is out there for a few years, offering warranty for product off ebay and yahoo, and has a close relation with ebay ( if it is not a sub-part of ebay, just like paypal).

I won't trust those in-house warranty offered by ebay seller, at least not for 3 years. But they are unlikely to be gone just right after you bought from them, too. You can hold your feedback on ebay for at least 60 days, if not half year. So if something went wrong within a month, the seller is likely to repair or replace it for you (most of them state that they will do it). After that, Square Trade should takecare of you. All the RX-65 seller on ebay seems having a high feedback rating, above 99%.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by h711
    ( if it is not a sub-part of ebay, just like paypal).
    Its not, but its a valid warranty. You have to go thru alot of stuff to be square trade verified.(seller only) -

Check their feedback - ask questions - don't assume anything.

And as they said " read every word" - save everything the seller sends you as responses. and Pay thru Paypal and paypal only.

Professional

I don't know if this is the case, but several people think that they are buying "from ebay" is if ebay is the company offering product to them.
    many people do not understand the fact that anything purchased "through" eBay is being purchased from an individual just like you or me!!

So, would you buy a detector from a guy selling them out of the trunk of their car someplace on the side of the road? basically the very Same concept when you buy Through the use of ebay's auction system.
    Just think of ebay as an online flea market, becuase that is exactly what it is!!!
    Buy from an authoirzed dealer !!!! ALWAYS !!

The sweet taste of a "good deal" is always overpowered by the bitter taste of "poor service"!!

you get what you pay for, and mostly considerably less than what you expected!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback
    I don't know if this is the case, but several people think that they are buying "from ebay" is if ebay is the company offering product to them.
    many people do not understand the fact that anything purchased "through" eBay is being purchased from an individual just like you or me!!

So, would you buy a detector from a guy selling them out of the trunk of their car someplace on the side of the road? basically the very Same concept when you buy Through the use of ebay's auction system.
    Just think of ebay as an online flea market, becuase that is exactly what it is!!!

The sweet taste of a "good deal" is always overpowered by the bitter taste of "poor service"!!

you get what you pay for, and mostly considerably less than what you expected!
    x2

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback

I disagree. Feedback (for non-EBay look at heatware or beerology) and Square-Trade and Credit Card protection elevate EBay and forums above deals in which things fall off of the back of trucks. An informed consumer must investigate, consider risks v. benefits and decide based upon what fits best. Otherwise, we might as well go back to Fair-Trade Pricing and other restraints-of-trade.

The authorized dealership nonsense from BEL means they or one of their "Authorized Distributors" or dumpster-diving employees are selling their defective merchandise. Instead of plugging their porous inventory control, they punish end-users. This is not standing behind your products. I like their products. I merely regard this policy as irresponsible and disingenuous.

my .02
    Bill