Thread: Low Power Range

Newcomer

Default Low Power Range

Hey yall
    After reading about "low powered" guns, I wanted to ask how the range is affected. In Louisiana, all I've encountered is Ka band and my ranges vary. The biggest variance is between my local po-pos and the New Orleans PD. Locally I've seen >3miles, but when I drive to N.O. I get EXACTLY 1.7miles of protection from each LEO I see on the road. Would the latter be the lowest power setting? I know i get ~0.9miles on a school zone sign and it doesn't display my speed until I'm on top of it.

Thanks in advance 8)

Advanced Member

a local speed sign by me only gives 0.2miles when others give 1mile

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

I would be SOOOOO happy to get 1.7 miles of Ka warning. I don't think I have ever had more than a mile, and that's on a drone that was pointed across a valley. 1/2 mile is typical for me. Sounds to me like the units that you are encountering put out a pretty strong signal in either case.

Newcomer

Default Re: Low Power Range

Quote Originally Posted by dollarrbill
    Hey yall
    After reading about "low powered" guns, I wanted to ask how the range is affected. In Louisiana, all I've encountered is Ka band and my ranges vary. The biggest variance is between my local po-pos and the New Orleans PD. Locally I've seen >3miles, but when I drive to N.O. I get EXACTLY 1.7miles of protection from each LEO I see on the road. Would the latter be the lowest power setting? I know i get ~0.9miles on a school zone sign and it doesn't display my speed until I'm on top of it.

Thanks in advance 8)
    Cool, I'm in BR too. Are you interested in going in on a can of Veil? I've got one other guy already so we'd each get 2 oz.

Seems like everybody from LSUPD and BRPD to Port Allen PD and LASP are using LIDAR especially when they setup speed traps and I'm needing some extra protection but don't need the whole 6 oz.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jeff d

Cool, I'm in BR too. Are you interested in going in on a can of Veil? I've got one other guy already so we'd each get 2 oz.

Seems like everybody from LSUPD and BRPD to Port Allen PD and LASP are using LIDAR especially when they setup speed traps and I'm needing some extra protection but don't need the whole 6 oz.
    For the time being, I'm just sticking with radar protection b/c I'm getting a new car next year -- then I'm gonna put Veil and Blinder on it.

I didn't know LIDAR was so popular in our area. Have you seen any LIDAR on the interstate? I do 90% of my speeding on the interstate and I rely on the use of radar instead of LIDAR.

Thanks for the offer though.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by dollarrbill
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff d

For the time being, I'm just sticking with radar protection b/c I'm getting a new car next year -- then I'm gonna put Veil and Blinder on it.

I didn't know LIDAR was so popular in our area. Have you seen any LIDAR on the interstate? I do 90% of my speeding on the interstate and I rely on the use of radar instead of LIDAR.

Thanks for the offer though.
    My freind just got a LIDAR ticket from the Port Allen police on 12 East a few miles West of the Mississippi River Bridge.

At least one day a week BRPD sets up traps on 12 in the direction opposing rush hour traffic (East in the AM, West in the PM). They usually have one man runing a LIDAR gun and as many as 6-7 motorcycles chasing. In the morning I've seen them setup anywhere from the 10/12 split all the way out to Millerville. In the afternoon they usually setup under the Millerville bridge on the Westbound side.

Several times I've seen LASP Camaro cops who pull just over the crest of an overpass, open the driver's side door, lean out and laser cars as they come over. When they get one they close the door and go.

Pretty regularly during the school year LSUPD will setup a LIDAR trap on Nicholson just inside the North gates clocking Southbound traffic. Speed limit is 35 there.

My experience has been that all of the police forces in the area use LIDAR for pretty much all of their large scale speed trap setups. However while patroling or for a single patrol car setup they usually use K or Ka (Usually constant on, so that's nice).