Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIDAR At Night?

Default LIDAR At Night?

Has anyone tested LIDAR at night? Or does anyone know if LEOs use LIDAR at night?

I am going to be driving from Louisville to Orlando next month and I have to go through Georgia (seems to be the LIDAR capital, I know they love to write tickets to vacationers). I plan on driving at night and was just wondering what to expect...

Professional

I've yet to see it used at night...but then again, it's not very common in my neck of the woods

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: LIDAR At Night?

Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    Has anyone tested LIDAR at night? Or does anyone know if LEOs use LIDAR at night?

I am going to be driving from Louisville to Orlando next month and I have to go through Georgia (seems to be the LIDAR capital, I know they love to write tickets to vacationers). I plan on driving at night and was just wondering what to expect...
    Lidar can be used at night but I've heard that a lot of officers don't like to use it because they obviously don't like staring at people's headlights through the sights on the lidar gun.

Excellent point compu...I to would not like to stare at headlights for any extended amount of time. I bet you are right.

Old Timer

In ohio, the state patrol use laser during the night as well. I am curious to know if they guess at the front license plate or tag the headlight...

Newcomer

A couple weeks ago i got hit by laser at 9:30PM at night. My X50 alerted about 3/4 of a mile away, i guess hitting my hood, bouncing the signal to the detector? My M-20 Blinder also alerted and I could only assume he was being jammed. I was the only car in sight at the time and the laser warning didnt end till i got past the cops. Heres the thread....
    http://www.radardetector.net/Laser-E...1%21-1499t.php

-L33T_Hacksta

Quote Originally Posted by L33T_Hacksta
    A couple weeks ago i got hit by laser at 9:30PM at night. My X50 alerted about 3/4 of a mile away, i guess hitting my hood, bouncing the signal to the detector? My M-20 Blinder also alerted and I could only assume he was being jammed. I was the only car in sight at the time and the laser warning didnt end till i got past the cops.
    Damn, that sux. I was hoping to not have to worry about laser on my trip to FL. Oh well, thanks for the responses.

Newcomer

Just got hit in Illinois on Route 70 Sunday night around 10:30 PM eastbound. I saw a lot of brake lights in front of me moments before, and imagine there were other alerts as well. I received two prolonged alarms and drove by, so I assume my Blinder works.

Newcomer

Valdosta, Georgia BEWARE there are police nearly every three miles hidden behind construction barricades, guard rales, and parked along embankment slopes i was hit with laser about at 9 pm as soon as you leave florida http://www.speedtrap.org/

Thanks for the tip popa! I take at least one road trip to FL every year and I am always amazed at the amount of speed traps in GA. IMO, FL make big bucks from the tourist in the summer. The only way that GA can get a slice of that money is for them to set up traps for those that are heading to FL.

I used to be in management, that said, I bet they actually tell the officers that their primary purpose is to write tickets. They probably have entry level positions for that very purpose...