Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Mirror mounting: finally getting closer

I got bored so I decided to take another crack at fabricating a custom mount for my V1. Having it right below the mirror is preferable but I really hate having suction cups on the windshield attracting attention. They are incredibly good at catching the light on a sunny day!

My previous prototypes sucked because they just weren't solid enough. It's darn near impossible to use the mirror as a stand-alone mounting point and not have a detector that flops around and annoys me. This also posed a potential injury risk in a crash since I doubt the detector would have stayed put.

This time I used the mirror bracket as one mounting point and my FastLane transponder as the second point. This forms a "bridge" that is worlds better than earlier attempts. Here are some pics of the new prototype. It's a cosmetic nightmare but it gives you the idea of what I'm going for. I can't wait to take it on the road and see how it holds up!

Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Professional

and you thought the suction cups drawn attention? Well it seems like the mounting materials take up an awful lot of room and just dont look right in there too me, but if it is stable and works and you dont mind the looks, who cares right? Although it may look bigger in that picture than it really is?

Radar Fanatic

i don't think the white box is part of the mount, i've seen that on a lot of newer cars.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    i don't think the white box is part of the mount, i've seen that on a lot of newer cars.
    The white box is an EZ Pass box that is used to automatically deduct from your bank account when u go through a toll so you dont have to stop and pay. It looks like he just moved the box down to have a little better of a stealthy install.

-L33T_Hacksta

Radar Fanatic

The white box is a FastLane (also called EZ-Pass) transponder for automatic toll payment. They are extremely common in the northeast. I just now put a coat of flat black paint on the bracket. What I should really do is take some exterior shots as soon as the weather gets less crappy. (From what I've heard that could be a while...they're talking about a "noreaster" in May?!?) I think that this will be an improvement from a distance because nothing is attached to the whindshield anymore, making it a bit less obvious. And who knows, I may not like this one either. But I figured that if I was going to bother with it I may as well show you guys. 8)

**EDIT**

Hacksta- Thanks for explaining the transponder. You beat me to it!

Professional

Oh than your mount is perfect! Goodjob Brick! :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    Oh than your mount is perfect! Goodjob Brick! :wink:
    Thanks. 8) I think "perfect" is a far cry from the truth but I'll get it right. A trip to Home Depot for some better sheet aluminum should result in an improvement to the aesthetics.

Good Citizen

Default mount

Do the suction cups hold on to the EZ pass?????Might try with RX65 .....Now I have above mirror...Behind tint line...We shall see :roll: Yes we are expect bad weather here...See you at Danbury Mall

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: mount

Quote Originally Posted by postman
    Do the suction cups hold on to the EZ pass?????Might try with RX65 .....Now I have above mirror...Behind tint line...We shall see :roll: Yes we are expect bad weather here...See you at Danbury Mall
    The transponder is held on with plastic velcro-like fasteners. (I think it's called Dual Lock.) They are quite strong and don't fall off like suction cups tend to.

And yes, I think this would be a good week to see a movie!

Speed Demon

Looks kinda of ovious. But nice install! I always wanted like a tray above my mirror for the rd to sit on. Of course the bottom would get hot. I guess you have to mount a fan on the bottom to move some cool air around.