Newcomer

Default Dash Mounting in Pickup Truck

I have an 01 Dodge Ram pickup and was wondering if anyone has any experience (or thoughts) with mounting the RD on the top center of the dash (closest to the passengers) as opposed to the windshield. This location on my truck would bring the RD about a foot and a half into the vehicle away from the windshield, clear the wipers, and have a view out the rear glass.

Unlike mounting on the dash near the windshield, it would be cooler, and not as obvious to enforcement folks as windshield mounting. It's probably not an optimum spot and I expect some degradation of sensitivity over a windshield mount, but how much really?

I'm considering getting an RX65 unit.

Power User

As long as you have a clear unobstructed view I'm sure you'll be fine, I tried mounting my detector on the dash a while back but ended up mounting it at the top of my windshield ( better range ) one thing to watch out for when mounting on the dash is the heat factor things tend to get warm down there in the hot sun!!

Another problem you may encounter is the day you go to remove the velcro backing, part off your dash ends up coming off with it. :?

Newcomer

MWD - I'm having trouble understanding why you would even worry about law enforcement observing your RD. In CO, they are perfectly legal.

The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe if your getting pulled you could hide it in the G/B and the LEO may not realize that you have one. And maybe he would cut you a brake. However, where you're talking about mounting it, seems like it would be a bit of a challenge to dismount it quickly and toss it in the G/B.

I think you'd be best off to visor mount whatever you wind up with. On the visor it would be higher up and likely provide better performance. Plus if its on your visor, the LEO may not notice it. Then you could unplug it, yank it off the visor and put it under your seat. I have a 2000 Ram. I have a ton of room under my seat.

- JyRO

Newcomer

JyRO, you happen to be running your RD off the visor? From what I see on my truck - and what I have seen regarding the visor mount hardware - it likely wouldn't drop low enough to clear the front edge of the headliner. Some modification would be necessary.

I agree there could be a problem with a dash mount and velcro down the road. I don't particularly like the idea of trashing the dash. It's looking like the best options would be centered right below the mirror, or mounted near the top of the windshield to the left of the mirror.

My main question was more of a signal performance issue with it mounted on the dash pulled away from the windshield. Velcro aside, I like clean installs without interfering with the visibility and dangling cords.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by mountainwatchdog
    JyRO, you happen to be running your RD off the visor? From what I see on my truck - and what I have seen regarding the visor mount hardware - it likely wouldn't drop low enough to clear the front edge of the headliner. Some modification would be necessary.

I agree there could be a problem with a dash mount and velcro down the road. I don't particularly like the idea of trashing the dash. It's looking like the best options would be centered right below the mirror, or mounted near the top of the windshield to the left of the mirror.

My main question was more of a signal performance issue with it mounted on the dash pulled away from the windshield. Velcro aside, I like clean installs without interfering with the visibility and dangling cords.
    [color=blue]

Having it back away from your window shouldn't affect the performance at all, just curious what detector do you use and if you like clean installs I would go to your local stereo shop and have them hard wire your detector into your ignition.

I did mine myself, routed the wire through the head liner so all you see is a little cord sticking out and mounted the detector at the top center portion of my windshield. Great performance, looks nice and clean plus the po po's never know it's there!

Radar Fanatic

Mounting it where you describe won't negatively effect the performance. I fact, in a larger vehicle like your, i'm not so sure a high mount is a good idea. You're starting to get into a range that you're likely to miss laser hits when mounted at the top of the window. If the instrument layout is anything like the Ram 2500's it'd be nice too since a lighter would be right below the detector.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Mounting it where you describe won't negatively effect the performance. I fact, in a larger vehicle like your, i'm not so sure a high mount is a good idea. You're starting to get into a range that you're likely to miss laser hits when mounted at the top of the window.
    Laser would be an interesting issue with a pickup like mine (01 Ram 1500). There's a lot of flat surface area on the front of the truck. Since I don't have the Sport version - the flat "chrome" bumper area probably acts just like a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by holein1
    Having it back away from your window shouldn't affect the performance at all, just curious what detector do you use...
    Haven't settled yet on the detector. Was originally going for either the x65/x50, but I'm now wondering if the V1 would be a better candidate for increasing the possibility of laser detection - or if it would really matter given the large profile of the front of the vehicle and the flattened top of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    If the instrument layout is anything like the Ram 2500's it'd be nice too since a lighter would be right below the detector.
    Yep it is, that's why I orignally selected that spot.

Power User

Well the x50 rx65 and the v1 are all great detectors I have owned the rx65 x50 and for the last week I have been using my friends v1. Now they all do very well in finding radar however the v1 has some features that the others don't, a very sturdy case, great laser detection, it has a rear facing lense for detecting radar from behind, the directional arrow are awsome, and you can use standard telephone cord with the rj-11 style connectors if you want to run the wiring through you dash or headliner.

I just purchased a v1 and think I'll be sticking with it for a while it is an awsome detector think you'd be very happy with it also!! 8)

Newcomer

Default window mount...

Quote Originally Posted by mountainwatchdog

I'm running mine from the window, just to the left side of the mirror. I'm switching from truck to Corolla frequently and the window mount is quick, easy, and I still can use the visor (although I don't use it much to begin with). I could really care less of the poe-leese know I have a detector or not. The chances of them catching me at a speed they would write me up for is very slim. If they do, I'll yank it down, hoping that they didn't notice it, and see if I can talk my way out of it. If they did notice it and ask where its at, I'll fess up that I have one, yanked it down, and pay the fine. You pays your money, and takes your chances. That goes for which RD to buy too. At this time, if I were in the market, I'd still buy the V1. From all indications, the Laser performance of the V1 compared to the x50 and RX65 is superior. Add veil to your truck and a V1 and you shouldn't have much laser worry. By the time you get a Laser alert and stab the brakes, veil likely will have prevented a reading and you'll be down to non-ticketable speeds.

- JyRO