Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default GungHo Trooper Stories

If you have a GungHo Trooper story post it here. We might all learn a thing or two about how they think and operate. I'll share mine first.

About 9 months ago I was going up to Omaha to see my Eldest son, his wife, and my new grand-daughter. My parents were with us and I was driving a red Navigator. I dunno where you're from but in my neck of the woods red Navigators are very common in Texas, OK, Kansas and the likes.

I was going north on interstate 135 between Newton and McPherson. The posted speed is 70 mph. I was cruising about 85 mph. The road was weather perfect and the traffic was very light. Of course in Kansas you can see for miles.

As I approached an overpass my RX55 went BOZO...full tilt alert on Ka band for about 1 second. I hit the brakes but it was too late. The Kansas trooper was on top of me in the oncoming south bound lane. I was the first one he pulled the trigger on in probably 3 or 4 miles. So my BEL was no match for his instant on Ka Speed Hassler Special.

However he had one major problem. A recent snowstorm had deposited 2-3 feet of snow in the median. Add to that the fact that snowplows had stacked the snow up as high as 5 feet and he had an impposible barrier to cross.

I had been paying particular attention and knew there was no quick "cross over" for miles. The nearest exit and overpass to jump sides was about 3-4 miles back. I had no doubt he wouldn't even bother. So I hit the resume on the cruise and went right back to 85 mph.

First let me say that on this 400 mile trip I must have seen at least 4 or 5 red Navigators that were identical to the one I was driving. Second the officer lost sight of me almost immediately.

I drove 10 miles at 85 mph and figured he just went on. At mile 11 the RX55 "beeped" once a weak Ka signal. At that point my mother (Ma Barker) suggested I take the next exit. I was like "Mom you gotta be kidding. First off that Trooper is long gone. He hasn't established a visual with me for over 11 miles now. Secondly if...this is a BIG if ...IF he is pursuing me the worst thing I can do is try to ellude him. (Thus I dubbed her Ma Barker to the amusement of all in the SUV).

Honestly at that point I still was 100% confident the trooper I had encountered 11 miles previous was still headed south to the nearest Krispy Kream.

As I drove another 1/4 to 1/2 mile the RX55 beep 3 or 4 times and fell silent. This puzzled me. Ma Barker started in with her "I told you...I told ya to take that exit. That crazy sucker is coming after you." My response was "Ma get a grip. NO WAY" He would have had to drive 130 or 140 miles per hour for 11 to 12 miles to catch me in that distance. Why in the hell would he do that. Why would he REALLY endanger other motorists by travelling that speed to catch a guy that was doing a measly 15 mph over posted. The RX55 then started alerting a constant beep...beep...beep drone.

I looked in my rearview and about 1/2 mile back there he was, lights a flashin'. That crazy bastard must have been driving way way over 100 mph to catch me....the dangerous felon...the ultimate hazard to public safety...a guy driving 85 mph on a divided, controlled access interstate on a beautiful sunshiny day with LIGHT TRAFFIC.

I slowed to 73 and set the cruise. It took another 1/2 mile or so for him to catch up. The GungHo patrolman pulled up beside me and I never acknowledged his presense. He stepped on his brake, hipped behind me and I pulled over.

He informed me that he had clocked me at 84 then at 81 mph. I assume he clocked me at 84 but by the time he locked it in I was down to 81. I have no idea why he would even bother telling me he got me at 84. maybe he wanted me to think he was doing me a favor by writing me up at 81 instead of 84.

I simply shrugged my shoulders and asked "Where did you say you clocked me" He looked a little goofy when he responded "12 or 13 miles back." He added "I had to drive very fast to catch you. You must have never slowed down."

I said "12 miles?! No sir I haven't changed my speed in 2 or 3 hours now. Are you sure it was me? "

"Yes sir....red Navigator" he barked in a montone military voice. I said "Sir...I've seen 2 or 3 red Navigators in the past 100 miles or so on this highway"

He replied "I need your D.L. and insurance verification"

I submitted the D.L. but had no insurance verification because the Navigator had been purchased the day before. Yes yes I had full coverage. Actually the Navigator was "Ma Barker's" .

Anyway he wrote me up for no insurance and NOT speeding. I could not imagine that he would actually write me up for speeding since he lost sight of me for over 11 miles. It wasn't like I was driving a Lime Green Maseradi!

The thing that disturbs me most about this encounter is the idea that "Super Trooper" would endager the public...the same public he has sworn to protect...by driving in excess of 140 mph for 11 miles to stop a motorist for speeding 15 over the posted. That is F--ing nuts.

Good Citizen

I guess this forum has a word limit. here's the rest of the story:

I said "12 miles?! No sir I haven't changed my speed in 2 or 3 hours now. Are you sure it was me? "

"Yes sir....red Navigator" he barked in a montone military voice. I said "Sir...I've seen 2 or 3 red Navigators in the past 100 miles or so on this highway"

He replied "I need your D.L. and insurance verification"

I submitted the D.L. but had no insurance verification because the Navigator had been purchased the day before. Yes yes I had full coverage. Actually the Navigator was "Ma Barker's" .

Anyway he wrote me up for no insurance and NOT speeding. I could not imagine that he would actually write me up for speeding since he lost sight of me for over 11 miles. It wasn't like I was driving a Lime Green Maseradi!

The thing that disturbs me most about this encounter is the idea that "Super Trooper" would endager the public...the same public he has sworn to protect...by driving in excess of 140 mph for 11 miles to stop a motorist for speeding 15 over the posted. That is F--ing nuts.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadarWarrior
    Anyway he wrote me up for no insurance and NOT speeding.
    I've heard of this kind of thing before.

It even seems like it might be a good technique to avoid a ticket:

A friend of mine got pulled over for speeding. It also happened that he didn't have proof of insurance either: he had just received his renewed policy in the mail and had failed to put the proof in the glove box yet.

He asked the officer to give him a break or something to that effect, and the officer said something like "sorry sir, we're out here to issue tickets today."

When the officer came back, he only wrote him up for no proof of insurance.

So my theory is, if you "give the cop an out" where he can look like he's doing his job by issuing you a ticket for something else, if you're also polite and ask (and also lucky) maybe he'll give you a break on the speeding.

Maybe say you don't have proof of insurance even if you do. In some states the fine is suspended if you go to the courthouse and prove you did indeed have insurance at the time of the citation. In Michigan if you do this you only pay a $25 admin fee...

Or unbuckle your seat belt? It's a gamble, but worth it if you avoid points.

Jim

Good Citizen

Yep that's what happened with me. I sent proof of insurance and they dropped the ticket. So maybe he was being nice.

I just can't believe he would drive 140 mph for 11 miles....just to be "nice".

Administrator

Default Stories

Kinda hard typing on a hand held computer here at CES, but when I get back I'll share some of my favorite war stories from the LEO side..
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Good Citizen

Default Re: Stories

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    Kinda hard typing on a hand held computer here at CES, but when I get back I'll share some of my favorite war stories from the LEO side..
    Oh this oughta be good. I can't wait. My uncle was in LE in San Fran back in the 70's. He had some really funny stories.

Administrator

Default War Story

The funniest war story happened around 10 years ago

I was a Lieutenant assigned as the West Side District patrol commander and I was patroling a small community.

I was on a rural road and noticed infront of me a old pickup towing a water trailer. The truck was all over the road and the driver was speeding. I followed behind for a couple miles, clocked him about 20 over, activated my lights and pulled the guy over.

As soon as we both come to a stop, he steps out with the biggest smile I had ever seen on a driver that has just been pulled over, the first thing he says "Man, I am glad that it was you that pulled me over" I asked why...

He went on that there was a SOB of an officer that was named Roy, who would give anyone a ticket including his mother. He was known for not giving anyone a break and that this guy was a real AH!

Around this time I pulled out my citation book and started writing and asked that he tell me more about this officer. He went on basically saying that this "Officer Roy" was real jerk and that everyone hated him in those parts, and started telling me his past experiences with the officer, such as getting a DUI about 3 years ago and that he was pulled over 6 months later by this same "Officer Roy" and arrested for driving on a suspended drivers license....

Around this time I was finished with my paperwork and asked the driver this "Do me a favor, read my name tag" and as he did he stopped and said "Oh crap, your this same officer Roy!"

Asked him to sign the citation and told him to have a good day...
    RadarBusters.com
    Also Join me at -

Administrator

Default Water Trailer

Well in some remote sections of Arizona, it is too deep to drill a well, so you get a trailer with a tank to go to a local water pump, stick in some quarters, and fill your tank with water and haul the trailer back to your home....
    RadarBusters.com
    Also Join me at -

Founder of Stealthvation

I was traveling on I 71 South (going to OSU) going about 90mph when all of a sudden a got a full burst of Xband on my V1 v1.7. A trooper traveling north bound got a reading off me with instant on and his light turned on. I immediately took the next exit and pulled in into a gas station where I can oversee I 71. About 3 minutes later I see him FLYING (I would guess he was EASILY going over 100mph) going south bound. I waited about 5 more minutes and got back on on I 71 south bound. About 6 miles down he had a Toyta Camry same year same color as mine pulled over and you could see them arguing. I thought to myself "should I pull over and tell him that it was me he wanted...........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: War Story

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    The funniest war story happened around 10 years ago

I was a Lieutenant assigned as the West Side District patrol commander and I was patroling a small community.

I was on a rural road and noticed infront of me a old pickup towing a water trailer. The truck was all over the road and the driver was speeding. I followed behind for a couple miles, clocked him about 20 over, activated my lights and pulled the guy over.

As soon as we both come to a stop, he steps out with the biggest smile I had ever seen on a driver that has just been pulled over, the first thing he says "Man, I am glad that it was you that pulled me over" I asked why...

He went on that there was a SOB of an officer that was named Roy, who would give anyone a ticket including his mother. He was known for not giving anyone a break and that this guy was a real AH!

Around this time I pulled out my citation book and started writing and asked that he tell me more about this officer. He went on basically saying that this "Officer Roy" was real jerk and that everyone hated him in those parts, and started telling me his past experiences with the officer, such as getting a DUI about 3 years ago and that he was pulled over 6 months later by this same "Officer Roy" and arrested for driving on a suspended drivers license....

Around this time I was finished with my paperwork and asked the driver this "Do me a favor, read my name tag" and as he did he stopped and said "Oh crap, your this same officer Roy!"

Asked him to sign the citation and told him to have a good day...
    So, erm, was there any truth to (his) story?