Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default *Split* When will KU be a threat?

Any idea when will cops start using Ku in the US?

Thanks,
    Rick

Old Timer

Default Re: Ku

Quote Originally Posted by rdalcanto
    Any idea when will cops start using Ku in the US?

Thanks,
    Rick
    You know I have been wondering about this same thing. I am going to split it fromt his thread and make a new.

I believe that we wont have to worry about it for at least another year to 2 years. It takes a while for police to impliment new radar guns.

As I got off the freeway on the way home from work yesterday, I got a full and sustained Ku alert (looked real, stayed full for a few seconds and slowed declined as I pulled away from the exit ramp). I was like WTF! I looked around and was unable to see the source. Also I tried driving back through the same area and it was no where to be found. They are doing road contruction on the freeway there. The only thing that I can think of is that it came from some of their equipment.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    As I got off the freeway on the way home from work yesterday, I got a full and sustained Ku alert (looked real, stayed full for a few seconds and slowed declined as I pulled away from the exit ramp). I was like WTF! I looked around and was unable to see the source. Also I tried driving back through the same area and it was no where to be found. They are doing road contruction on the freeway there. The only thing that I can think of is that it came from some of their equipment.
    Take a look around for other radar detectors when you get a Ku hit. When I had it enabled, my falses behaved just like false Ka hits. More often than not I could find another unit in the surrounding traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Take a look around for other radar detectors when you get a Ku hit. When I had it enabled, my falses behaved just like false Ka hits. More often than not I could find another unit in the surrounding traffic.
    That's got to be it. Next time I'll look for another RD.

Newcomer

On the contrary, I think it could be a glitch of some kind (V1). I've -never- had a strong Ku signal, nor have I had one last more than a second or two. It is always one strength bar, only one alert, and from any direction. I can't say it's other RDs, because I've had this seemingly random Ku alert both when I'm the only car in sight, as well as when I'm idling in my driveway (having not moved in ten minutes) again with no cars around.

Lead Foot

Well, would someone mind filling me in on WHY an officer would chose to use KU band? Is it better then Ka? Also, laser seems to be the way officers are going now a days. I personally do not think that KU will ever be a threat in the states, but I would like some more info on it.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith
    Well, would someone mind filling me in on WHY an officer would chose to use KU band? Is it better then Ka? Also, laser seems to be the way officers are going now a days. I personally do not think that KU will ever be a threat in the states, but I would like some more info on it.
    Ku should have the same drawbacks as X-band: short range, spreads out, etc. The only advantage is that most detectors in the US can't pick it up. If I were a cop I'd definitely pass it up for a modern Ka gun and use it intelligently. Or I'd go straight to laser.

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith
    Ku should have the same drawbacks as X-band: short range, spreads out, etc. The only advantage is that most detectors in the US can't pick it up. If I were a cop I'd definitely pass it up for a modern Ka gun and use it intelligently. Or I'd go straight to laser.
    I agree Ku is "pee-u"! The detector companies are already putting this band into their detectors so what is the point. It is also much more detectable than K or Ka due to beamwidth besides. :? Ka is much much better... 8)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by delete
    On the contrary, I think it could be a glitch of some kind (V1). I've -never- had a strong Ku signal, nor have I had one last more than a second or two. It is always one strength bar, only one alert, and from any direction. I can't say it's other RDs, because I've had this seemingly random Ku alert both when I'm the only car in sight, as well as when I'm idling in my driveway (having not moved in ten minutes) again with no cars around.
    I would have to agree here. If I leave the V1 powered up on the bench for a while, every so often I get these short Ku alerts with no apparent source...

Jim