Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default How to identify radar/laser units in the field?

After doing some Internet research, I am finding statements that indicate the Colorado State Patrol and Jefferson County use laser speed enforcement.

Daily, I see plenty LEO's off to the side of the road, as well as the "business end" of their radar/laser guns - but I don't know how to recognize the type/technology of the guns they are actually using - and I have no detector yet.

If, in fact, they are using laser - this could steer me towards the V1/VEIL from what I am reading on this forum.

Anyone know where there may be images of the various types so I can try to identify them - or is there some sort of telltale characteristic that distinguishes radar from laser (shape, white cone on front, etc.)

Radar Fanatic

The best way to distinguish laser is how it is used. It must be aimed very carefully. The officer will either be standing and using both hands, in the vehicle propping it on his window, or sometimes using a tripod. In either case he will be aiming it as if it were a rifle. Laser can not be used behind a closed window or windshield. Hand operated radar, on the other hand, requires less care. It will be pointed at traffic but he doesn't need to look through any kind of sighting device (except occasionally an "iron sight".) In fact, the readout is usually on the back of the gun so it has to be far enough away from his face so that it can be read.

You can also look for the glass lenses to identify a laser gun as you get closer.

Radar Fanatic

Laser guns will have two glass lenses on the "business end" wheras radar will either be a single square or circle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Laser can not be used behind a closed window or windshield.
    Brick, I'm sorry but 3rd generation lidar guns can be operated behind glass with no problem. You have to manually set the gun to "obstruction mode." This mode throws out any short distance readings coming off of the glass.

Chris

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Laser can not be used behind a closed window or windshield.
    Brick, I'm sorry but 3rd generation lidar guns can be operated behind glass with no problem. You have to manually set the gun to "obstruction mode." This mode throws out any short distance readings coming off of the glass.

Chris
    DAMN Technology Hail to X-BAND!!!

Good Citizen

Where have you been researching about your local police department?
    I have been to speedtrap.org and browsed, and am ALWAYS looking to read more about what equipment local officers are using. Let me know if you guys have any other sites.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    You have to manually set the gun to "obstruction mode." This mode throws out any short distance readings coming off of the glass.
    Crazy. I'd heard of a mode for foul weather but never for glass. Wonder if that affects jamming in any way?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Skelevate
    Where have you been researching about your local police department?
    I have been to speedtrap.org and browsed, and am ALWAYS looking to read more about what equipment local officers are using. Let me know if you guys have any other sites.
    For what it's worth, I went to the Colorado State Patrol and the county website directly. A Google search for "Colorado State Patrol laser" had a page referencing the use of "laser speed measuring devices" in the context of traffic safety. Similar on my county web site.

I don't always believe everything I read which is why I'm looking for a way to visually identify a laser unit in the field. My guess is that both the state and county do use laser to some extent. If laser use here is widespread and frequent - I would like to know that in selecting an appropriate detector for my area.

Advanced Member

They do use laser in CO i was talking to my friend from the vail area and he has run into laser
    also on the state patrol webiste, the troopers on the top of this page are both holding laser guns one is the LTI Ultralyte and I'm not sure the other gun it could be another LTI or a Laser Atlanta gun....Chris do you have any idea?

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Default Re: How to identify radar/laser units in the field?