Newcomer

Default Radar detector project

Hey guys, I just stumbled across this forum and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I'm planning to construct a radar detector but unfortunatly I'm not very good at electronics. I was just hoping for some advice and/or guidance on constructing such a thing and also what sort of circuitry would be included and perhaps what components I would need.

Many thanks

Default Looking to put Cobra out of business???

I wish you luck. Instead of a gieger type meter give the RD a distance to radar indicater like in Feet or meters.

Newcomer

you should go here for your radar detector www.beltronics.com you know they have pre made ones that will cost less and be more effective

but in all seriousness good luck, but these guys are advanced in electronics and spend millions on designing detectors, so i think it will be alot harder for you to make a working detector.

Experienced

iv always wondered about designing my own detector that would interface with an onboard pc computer etc etc.

just day dreaming but i wish you luck for your adventure but it sounds like a hard road, let us know how you get on.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    If it is just a project, try this one:
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...004/index.html

Don't expect it to offer you any protection though...
    I just checked out that link and it seems pretty good to me.

I'm currently in the design and research stage of the project but I am quietly confident that it will work although I'll have to wait and find out.

Thanks to everyone who put forward ideas etc. Any more input would be welcomed.

Professional

sounds like a good idea, but remember these big rd companies have spent tons of $$ developing these kinds of device and have hired bunch of engineers who do this for a living. Regardless maybe you can start your own company someday, heh?

Good Citizen

If you want to learn some electronics go to the bookstore on the website for The Cleveland Institute of Electronics. You can get the coursework for an AS with LABS included for under $200.00.

I'll be doing it soon for my own knowledge. Never finished my EE minor in college and have some Solar projects in the works.

Come on guys, cut the guy some slack. I'm sure he realizes that he is not a RD company and doesnt have the engineer's like the RD companies. Remember its a only a project for him so lets give him some moral support. Pssst..remember me when you hit it big. I think the range thing is a good idea.

Good Citizen

Some of the best ideas in electronics have come from "new guys". All it takes is some fresh thinking......