Thread: Optic Fibre?

Newcomer

Default Optic Fibre?

Hey, here's an idea: how about running a length of optic fibre to the headlights and run that directly to the radar detector sensor LEDs?

Wouldn't that work? Plus, it's relatively inexpensive and easy to do!

Experienced

it will work for laser, but i think it would be a disadvantage to radar

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Too little benefit to make it worthwhile.
    How's that? With veil, you'll get the first hit (and have time to react) from the lidar gun instead of relying on stray reflections. Maybe my understanding of how things happen isn't good, though.

Experienced

with veil it stop reflections from your car returning to the gun this may give your top of life detector to alert you to slow down.

with your fibre optic thing by the time it alerts you to laser its going to be too late.

thats my understanding of things, theres more expirenced people here who can give you better advice

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by mh
    How's that? With veil, you'll get the first hit (and have time to react) from the lidar gun instead of relying on stray reflections. Maybe my understanding of how things happen isn't good, though.
    The problem is that you really want to get the stray reflections. Once you are already being hit at the headlamps you're pretty much toast. You want a stray reflection from when the guy ahead of you is being hit.

Radar Fanatic

I mentioned something similiar to this for inproving laser, But it was said that it wouldn't help all that much.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by mh
    The problem is that you really want to get the stray reflections. Once you are already being hit at the headlamps you're pretty much toast. You want a stray reflection from when the guy ahead of you is being hit.
    If you look at the veil videos (www.laserveil.com), you'll see that if you get lasered from a distance, the lidar gun still doesn't get a reading until you're much closer. If the officer aims perfectly at your headlamps the whole time, you might not be alerted, whereas with a strand of fibre (the way I see it at least), you'll not only get all the stray reflections, but you'll get anything aimed at the headlamps.

Anyway, I might just give it a try and see...

Professional

whereas with a strand of fibre (the way I see it at least),
    True , the first problem is to get a special ir fiber called Low OH which let most of the ir pass and is expensive , it is used in the medical field for laser therapy.

Second difficulty is to couple the fiber to the rd , obviously a mechanical device has to be designed to obtain a durable attachment.

It could be possible to introduce the fiber directly in the headlight via a tiny hole , heat from the bulb should not be a problem because the fiber is made of glass , so accept high temp.Each hl would have their fiber then mix into one main fiber going to the rd .

An ordinary light fiber for an audio system looses too much signal in the ir band.

All that said = if money is not a problem = a jammer solves the whole problem of facing laser measurement followed by a ticket ...

Reversely a jamming signal could be sent via a large ''light pipe''(copyrighted by Smart)

Good Citizen

Another issue to consider with fiber is that the light, visible or IR, does not flow straight through so you will have even longer detection time. Very miniscule but fact is , more time.