Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default QUICK QUESTION A.S.A.P.

Hello everyone,

I'm about to take my first "long" trip w/ my x50. It's only like a few hours but it's the longest that i've driven at one time with the detector. By it being the Memorial Day weekend i know the cops are going to be out and about STRONG...

My question is while i'm driving and i get a band reading "Ka" or whatever i know 9 x's out of 10 it will prolly be a cop. So my concern is when i get my reading, would he have already radared me or would i have time to react and slow down? Let me know a.s.a.p for i am pulling out in about another 20 min.

Also do i need to keep it on Expert Mode or switch to Highway? Or can i have them on both simutanously? Thanks

Advanced Member

Default Re: QUICK QUESTION A.S.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_geek
    Hello everyone,

I'm about to take my first "long" trip w/ my x50. It's only like a few hours but it's the longest that i've driven at one time with the detector. By it being the Memorial Day weekend i know the cops are going to be out and about STRONG...

My question is while i'm driving and i get a band reading "Ka" or whatever i know 9 x's out of 10 it will prolly be a cop. So my concern is when i get my reading, would he have already radared me or would i have time to react and slow down? Let me know a.s.a.p for i am pulling out in about another 20 min.

Also do i need to keep it on Expert Mode or switch to Highway? Or can i have them on both simutanously? Thanks
    If you get an alert at full strength, he might be radaring YOU, anything less and you'll have some time to slow down. I would use the "Standard" signal strength meter for the highway, unless you are in an area with a lot of falses...

Jim

Lead Foot

Well, EXCEPT with laser, if you get an alert it should give you enough time to slow down because there will be a lot of people on the road and they will probably be hitting someone in front of you before you. If you get hit with laser though, you are screwed. Just make sure you always have a "leader" of your pack and you should be fine.

Default RE

So take it off of Expert Mode and just keep it Standard Auto?

Experienced

I run mine in expert mode and I've turned off auto mute. With a convertible the auto mute is way to quiet. When I first got the thing I didn't even notice it was Still going off. Auto mute was just bad for me.

As to the leader of the pack theory, they often will snag the last car or cars and not always the leader.

Advanced Member

Yeah, IMHO expert mode is better in the city with a lot of radar sources. On a long highway trip, with any luck you won't get too mane false alert sources most of the time, so I would run Standard...

Lead Foot

Default Re: RE

Expert is the best detection mode because you can sense multiple radar sources. However for driving, adjust the DRIVING MODE its in accordingly such as am I driving Highway or City. Typically I leave it in Highway mode while leaving POP on and X off, but if you're driving multiple states, leave POP on and X on (if you're going through NJ and such).

Speed Demon

Default Re: RE

you can take it off expert but leave it on HWY when there, and CITY when there. i'm still not comfy with "Auto"

Default RE: X is STILL ALIVE!!!

Hey guys just wanted to give everyone a brief report of my trip that i took over the memorial day weekend. So just to let everyone know, i took it off Expert Mode and set it to Standard and i left it on Auto. I forgot all about the Highway/City settings. But they'll be other trips for that.

Anyway to start off, i just wanna say that X BAND IN NC IS STILL ALIVE!!! I was suprised. I was driving a long while i was still in Raleigh actually. So i haven't even been on the road for that long but i was on a highway and my X band went off. It was weak at first and then it picked up very quickly. Come to find out on the other side of the road, a cop had pulled over a car and apparently he still had his radar on. I was totally shocked!!! Because i always hear people up here saying how cops normally don't use X anymore not unless you're in particular states. Well i witnessed it for myself. Anyway other than that i was pretty pleased with the x50 and how it performed on the road. I received a few falsing but not to the point where it was unbearable.

Advanced Member

Thanks for the report

That is the main reason I still run with X-band enabled. You just never know when you might encounter it. I am always afraid that some local police agency will pull the old X-band guns out of storage and just clean up