Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Radar Speed Signs and Range

I have located a K band radar speed trailer along side of the road near where I live. If I set my trip back and drive towards the sign will it give me an accurate measurement of distance I can get from my X50? I have read in several posts that the signs are less powerful then a normal Leo radar gun.

I decided to drive by the sign a few times and here are my results.
    The K band radar trailer is positioned on top of a hill around a curve.
    Also, there is a hospital .07 of a mile which causes a K false.

The 1st time through I was in city / expert mode. The City filtered out the K false and as I approach I begin picking up the sigh at .02 of a mile away. Remember this is around a corner and positioned on top of a hill.

The second approach I switched to Highway / expert mode. The Highway did not filter the K and I received the false for a second or two then it went away. After this, I started to receive the Sign at .03 of a mile.

I guess these number are Ok when you consider it's not a real LEO and geographical layout. What really gets me is why I didn't get 2 bars of K in expert Mode since there was a false in the area. Another thing that has me wondering is I though City mode only filtered X band. It's kinda strange the K false didn't occur in City Mode.

Professional

can you get us a picture of this area, when you say .02 mi thats like 30ft away from it...do you mean .2mi and if so thats not very good range, but frm what your describing it sounds like this was a very tricky spot, curve and hill with a speed sign to pick up a good signal.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    can you get us a picture of this area, when you say .02 mi thats like 30ft away from it...do you mean .2mi and if so thats not very good range, but frm what your describing it sounds like this was a very tricky spot, curve and hill with a speed sign to pick up a good signal.
    As I approched the trailer, I waited until I revieved an alert from my detector, I then set my trip back. I recorded the number my trip gave me when I reached the radar sign. It was more then 30 feet but it wasn't a mile infact a lot less. I'm thinking the layout was the issue in range.

Yes, it's a very tricky spot and I have seen real LEO's there a lot. They like to sit in the same location of where that sign is and then nail you with Instant KA. I know most of the local spots they like to clock from so I never take this area for granted, I always slow down just in case. I'll post a photo of the location soon.

Any idea why I didn't get two bars of K ?
    Also, Does City Mode filter K, I have always been told is doesn't.

Stealthcb

Aren't those trailer/signs a weaker signal than an actual gun?

Professional

yes they are weaker, because they are only aiming for one location. Sometimes they are off and you can still pick up the signal.

Radar Fanatic

IMHO, i think they are accurate for testing..because they are real guns and they are pointed usually in accordance to the road..and a constant signal..i love them because they can teach u about corners and hills and stuff...im pretty sure if on a flat road no traffic u could easily pikc up one of those at 2 miles +....in a few months ill have video of testing..theres a huge 25 mile flat road by me and im gonna tear it up with testing

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by richardboy316
    IMHO, i think they are accurate for testing..because they are real guns and they are pointed usually in accordance to the road..and a constant signal..i love them because they can teach u about corners and hills and stuff...im pretty sure if on a flat road no traffic u could easily pikc up one of those at 2 miles +....in a few months ill have video of testing..theres a huge 25 mile flat road by me and im gonna tear it up with testing
    25 miles of straight road! I wanna take my car down that road

Radar Fanatic

im probably just gonna like mount my bushnell unless i buy a better gun by then like 6 feet in the air and just test it..also there are like little streets down here that are like a mile long and then a slight turn..and i might be buying an x50 just for the hell of it

so i can test that, my v1, and my rx65(if those damn comrades every finish fixing my joke of an RD)

but yeah, speed signs are legit for testing..i think they just set the standards for what to expect in real life situations

Good Citizen

When I get a K-band from a sign, I can always see the sign. I'd say that I get detects on my X50 at about 1/4 to 1/2 mile max. and my detector is around 6 ft. off the ground so it's quite a bit higher than what you'd have in a car.

Yoda of Radar

Around here they (for the most part) seem to be pretty much the same as a regular police radar-unit, but Mike V has a explination why the V1 may not detect the signs, and one could assume this could cause odd detections in other detectors as well...

Lets not forget it could be out of tune (the sign), or on the very end of the spectrum that the X50 sweeps.