Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Can a cell phone cause a laser alert?

I would think this is a strange question if it wasn't for a couple of episodes that happened to me. I've got a Motorola V180 and was driving last Wednesday when it rang. As soon as I picked it up and answered it, the laser alert on my RX65 went off. I slowed up and didn't see anything so I didn't think anything else about it. The exact same scenario happened again Thursday. The second one occurred about 5 miles from the first. Just an odd coincidence or something else???

Advanced Member

Where is your detector mounted....was the alerts during the day? was it a sunny day???

Try to answer the cell phone again see if it happens again...I hold you are using a hand-free set for your phone though

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

As soon as I picked it up and answered it, the laser alert on my RX65 went off.
    I had the same experience with a cell phone . My friend once got into my car and both time he used is celular my laser alert when off, Coinsidance?

Newcomer

The detector is mounted just above my VA state inspection sticker which means it's about 4-5'' from the bottom of the windshield. It was about 8:15 pm so it was just starting to darken outside. Another funny thing about all of this is that I've never had it happen when I've made calls, just when I received these 2...J

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDYJ
    Another funny thing about all of this is that I've never had it happen when I've made calls, just when I received these 2...J
    same as me... and I think my friend also have a motorola...

Good Citizen
    NEW JERSEY South - about 15 mins from Philly

Interaction between electronics devices is quite common. Even in seemingly diverse technologies like RADAR DETECTORS and Cell Phones.

So anything is possible. Moving the 2 units further apart, separating power sources and or grounds and shielding can all help.

The wierdest one I ever experienced with a RD was in my present car with an older detector. On certain occassions it would false like crazy..........every few seconds, became useless of course. I finally by total accident discovered it was my Proximity Car Burglar alarm transciever that was causing it. But Only when I placed anything metallic near the unit. It would then proceed to false the RD. Go figure.

HAve fun

Speed Demon

Put your cell antenna next to your radar detector see if it goes off. Mine set off X band. Passport 8500 and Sanyo 4900.

Radar Fanatic

I'm pretty certain that my old TDMA Motorola V60T would occasionally set off a POP alert upon recieving a call. May have just been coincidental, but it seemed to happen quite a bit. I now have a CDMA Nokia 3586i and haven't ever had the problem again.

Speed Demon

no problems here.... X50 and Moto V600.

Interesting topic!

Good Citizen

Similar thing going on here when you hold your cell phone near an amplifier while it's transmitting... you get noise over your speakers.

Different detectors will react differently to different phones, frequencies (850, 900, 1800, 1900 etc) and different network types (TDMA, CDMA, iDEN, GSM).