Default Regarding the patent of V1's arrows ending in 2011?

Is it just the arrows that are patented by V1? Can another RD company use a different style of directional system to do what the V1 does? Like put a LED light on the top, sides and bottom to show direction of radar and laser? Man, I really need to get to bed and stop thinking of reasons to stay on this site...lol

Advanced Member

Default Re: Regarding the patent of V1's arrows ending in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Quattro
    Is it just the arrows that are patented by V1? Can another RD company use a different style of directional system to do what the V1 does? Like put a LED light on the top, sides and bottom to show direction of radar and laser? Man, I really need to get to bed and stop thinking of reasons to stay on this site...lol
    No, the patent isn't just the arrows, it is for a police radar detector that determines the directional origin of the radar source.

Newcomer

I'm not going to look up the patent again but, as I recall, the patent is for a system that uses two antennas (antennae?) to drive the directional arrows.

Any dipstick could put arrows pointing at every cardinal direction on the face of the detector. It's the two antenna horns and the logic that feeds the light bulbs that are the secret sauce. Two antennas aren't a brilliant idea, they're an elegant and logical one. Fortunately for Mike V, he got there first and patented it.

I'll bet there are lots of guys at Belscort waiting for that patent to expire. Absent some huge innovation I wouldn't want to have a lot of money invested in VR in, let's say 2012. Its a cool thing and only VR has it...for now.

Meanwhile, I think you'll find that Belscort has more patents in the area of signal processing and one for an integrated GPS receiver to keep track of stationary bogeys like speed signs.

Regs,

Jim

Radar Fanatic

once 2012 hits, it will be onteresting to see what the competition will hop into next