Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would a RD work if you removed the RD osc.?

and left the laser component? so not to have leakage? or if you remove 1 part it makes the RD not work? this question is a possible project to have my V995 mounted up top like it is and have my 8500 on the bottom of the windshield for better laser detection. Would it work?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Would a RD work if you removed the RD osc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Quattro
    and left the laser component? so not to have leakage? or if you remove 1 part it makes the RD not work? this question is a possible project to have my V995 mounted up top like it is and have my 8500 on the bottom of the windshield for better laser detection. Would it work?
    you sure are determined to haveit work out like this aren ya?

Professional

isn't the oscillator attached to the antenna :? it probably wouldn't work because the software would detect circuitry failiure

J/C....I dont believe I would dismantle a 8500 just because "Service Required" is on. But where does the leakage come from on a RD? Isnt it from the horn? If so, if you just plug up the horn entrance with like some tinfoil will that work? Tell me if I'm wasting my time with this side project?

Good Citizen

i think your wasting your time... just save up for a jammer and veil

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Quattro
    J/C....I dont believe I would dismantle a 8500 just because "Service Required" is on. But where does the leakage come from on a RD? Isnt it from the horn? If so, if you just plug up the horn entrance with like some tinfoil will that work? Tell me if I'm wasting my time with this side project?
    Wrapping the horn in tinfoil would dramatically reduce leakage. Or removing the whole horn assembly. I don't know if removing the horn would make the 8500 just not power up, display a "fatal error" or work fine as a laser-only detector. Or just keep telling Service Req'd. You could turn off all bands, but the RD probably would still emit something.

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

just disable all bands except laser and run em together to see if there is an effect...

Professional

disabling all the bands might just stop the alerts to those bands though.

it may still actively scan for those bands, but just not alert to them if recieved. does anyone know if this scenario is true ?

You could disassemble the case and block the feed-horn with a meatallic mylar or foil. or better yet, use a fine mesh made of brass, and wrap the whole detector in it, that will block all signal going in and out!!

google "farraday cage" to see what I am referring to

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback
    it may still actively scan for those bands, but just not alert to them if recieved. does anyone know if this scenario is true ?
    Probably. But for example the Bels in Accusweep or Narrow-Ka don't scan the other frequencies, so maybe it won't scan. But I wouldn't expect it to shut down the oscillator if all bands are deactivated.

Good Citizen

YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE COUNTY DUMP AND BUY A BETTER CAR...THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO !!! LOL