Default Cross Country Drive - Best Detection Strategy

Hi all. From reading the boards, it seems like where I'll be driving is critical to what kind of detector I should buy. I'm getting ready to drive cross country with my girlfriend from San Francisco to Boston. We'll be taking a bit of the long way - stopping to see the scenery and heading southward - (i.e. San Francisco/Yosemite/LA/Flagstaff/Santa Fe/Las Cruces/Austin/Dallas/Little Rock/Memphis/Nashville/Lancaster). It seems like there are some personal preference differences between the V1, RX65 and the 8500 X50 but actual performance is pretty similar (except perhaps for X band). With the itinerary I've laid out, does anyone have a recommendation? Should I get Veil or will laser likely not be much of an issue?

Thank you so much. Any advice on radar (or neat stops) is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Aaron

Advanced Member

Since you will mostly be driving on interstates I would recommmend the Valentine 1....If I were to do long distance driving more often that is the detector I will have.

In a recent test the Valentine 1 was recommended to be the best detector for long road trips....

As well as the V1, since you might run into laser I would recommend VEIL Stealth Coating as well as a LaserSheild Front plate cover (if state requires car to have one)

The personal preference on this board goes to those detectors cause the users want the best detection possible

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Default Re: Cross Country Drive - Best Detection Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by xcountrydrive
    Hi all. From reading the boards, it seems like where I'll be driving is critical to what kind of detector I should buy. I'm getting ready to drive cross country with my girlfriend from San Francisco to Boston. We'll be taking a bit of the long way - stopping to see the scenery and heading southward - (i.e. San Francisco/Yosemite/LA/Flagstaff/Santa Fe/Las Cruces/Austin/Dallas/Little Rock/Memphis/Nashville/Lancaster). It seems like there are some personal preference differences between the V1, RX65 and the 8500 X50 but actual performance is pretty similar (except perhaps for X band). With the itinerary I've laid out, does anyone have a recommendation? Should I get Veil or will laser likely not be much of an issue?

Thank you so much. Any advice on radar (or neat stops) is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Aaron
    Check out my thread in Speed Trap Info and tell me if something like that would be helpful.

Lead Foot

If you're going to be traveling that long of a distance and making it the scenic route, depends on the amount of cash you have to spend on counter-measures.

1. Radar Detector
    2. LaserShield
    3. VEIL
    4. Blinder
    5. PhotoShield

Certain areas use certain things, so you may want to adjust acordingly.

California uses K, Ka and Laser, VASCAR is illegal according to current laws in California (Speedtrap :-p) from what I've read. So while driving in california, you will want at least a good Radar Detector (V1, x50, or RX65) any of those detectors will work great. Since California makes it illegal to posess a radar/laser jamming device, you will want to be careful using such counter-measures. Personally I will be putting a lasershield and VEIL on my car, which are the two most CMs that go unnoticed around here. You could get the blinder system, however if you don't feel comfortable enough to install it yourself, you'll have to find a buddy to do it for you, most car mod places won't install it due to law restrictions. You pretty much don't have to worry about VASCAR in most states because it is too expensive to do.

PERSONAL EXP:
    California: K, Ka, Laser (More Ka on HWYs than Laser unless you're on the i-5, the 210, the 60, and the i-15... The i10 is usually wide open, no radar around INDIGO/29 PALMS all the way into Pheonix)
    Arizona: K, Ka, Laser (More K & Ka on HWYs than Laser, More Laser in Cities than K & Ka)

California:
    HWY: LEO's love to park their cars in center dividers, side of the HWY on the shoulder, THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO JUMP ON THE FREEWAY FROM AN ONRAMP AND TAG YOU WITH INSTANT ON SO WATCH YOUR MIRRORS...............Since California has banned speedtraps for the most part, the cops have to be visible for them to give you a ticket, so you'll have to keep an eye out for patrol cars, mostly UNMARKED (no overhead lights) crown vics (only way you can identify if the spotlight) The other vehs they use are SUVs (*Marked*) and cameros (*MARKED*).

Arizona:
    HWY: Have seen them sit in the center divider a lot but i'm sure they do other things as stated above.

x50: Personally own, love it, very little falsing, especially on Ka band. Gives great warning time, haven't gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood)
    V1: Friends own it, more prone to falsing, arrows help out with LEO detection but can be an issue when you need to keep your eyes on the road.
    RX65: Friends own it, soon to be getting one, voice alerts, little falsing, great detection time.

Speed Help: http://www2.deskmedia.com/~dev/speeding.phtml

That has always helped me atho most ppl already know it

Goodluck!

Radar Fanatic

For a long highway trip like that I'd go with the V1 and a can of VEIL. That'll keep you as well informed as anything about radar, and is the best bang for your buck against laser.

Newcomer

Get some freakin` monoculars dude, lol, i think if you can see whats up there 500+ meters away (if they can see that far) then wow, i think they should work? 10x would appear 100m away if you were trying to see something 1km infront, right?

Anyone ever try it?

Yoda of Radar

Yeah if you have a passenger get some good binoculars...

Micky - you speak SI?

Speed Demon

CB,FRS,Radio Scanner! Check out the countermeasure forum.

Scratonicity Groupie

if your state requires a front plate I'd say pop it off as soon as you get out of that state. odds are the other states wont know or care and with some VEIL and a V1 you are golden