View Poll Results: Why did you buy your RD?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I drive about 5 to 15 over the limit always. But rarely faster.

22 36.07%
  • I usually drive about 20 over the limit.

6 9.84%
  • I drive what speed makes me feel comfortable (above or below the limit), an RD is just there to make sure i know my speed when a LEO with detection devices is near.

33 54.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Poll Question ... why do you have a RD?

As i was driving back to college i noticed today a man just as i was about to get off passing traffic in the right lane driving a bit too fast for the conditions (20 to 30 over the flow of traffic). As he passed me i noticed he has tinted 20 percent windows all around, same as me. I know because they are very dark but you can see the outline of the thing in the car ... guess what i noticed ... a V1 (you can miss that shape lol) mounted in this center of his windscreen. I'm pretty sure it was a V1, i have gotten pretty good at telling the brands on RD just by quick glances and the V1 has a very defined shape, as we all know.

Obviously i didnt have a problem with him having a detector but he was driving in very dense traffic, way to fast for the conditions ... 80+ in a 60 zone.

This got me thinking, how many people on this board bought their detector to do foolish things like this man was doing. Im kinda curious to see the numbers of people who want it for 5 to 15 over protection and those who just want to drive fast in any condition.

Stealthcb

I'm a "whatever feels comfortable" driver. I got my Pro 73 because I got tired of financing the roads in the nation's FOURTH largest speeding ticket issuer, Colorado Springs. When I get a ticket, it's because I don't pay attention to what I'm doing. So I got the RD to increase my situational awareness and make sure I'm paying attention. It's not a foolproof system, but it has helped me watch more for LEOs.

It just helps me drive comfortably, even when I'm a little distracted.

Professional

I just use it for comfortable driving. sometimes thats the PSL and sometimes 10 over but for the mos part im usually 5 over and in located in an area were LEO's have giving tickets to people for going 37 in a 35 and for not using a turn signal to turn down your one way street.

Experienced

I've only had one speeding ticket, perhaps 10 years ago. I live in a rural area and travel 100 miles to get to the city (not regularly, just when needed). The road is wide open and I like to drive fast. You can comfortably cruise at 85 and still not feeling like you're not speeding or driving in an unsafe manner.

However, the police may not always share this opinion. I often see them on the side of the road and wonder if they've got their radar on or not. I like having a radar detector because of the increased awareness it gives you of your surroundings.

Since getting a V1, I find that I drive both faster and slower. If I'm on a wide open road, I'm more likely to go a lot faster than before. However, I'm a lot more cautious in more populated areas, because you get more radar hits and realize how easy it is for the police to detect unsuspecting drivers. My county uses radar a lot and LIDAR a bit on the interstate that runs through the center. However, they don't patrol much in town and don't seem to ticket a lot unless you're doing something really egregious. It also helps that I work at the local hospital, and meet most of the deputies when they come in for car accidents. I've had conversations with several, and most don't have much of a problem with RDs.

Of course, it's probably different being a cop in a small town compared to a big city. Here, the people you're ticketing are your neighbors and it could be uncomfortable.

Radar Fanatic

I got my rd when my bf got a ticket infront of me (I was the passenger.) for going 90 in a 65 zone, but he was only going 70 the whole time. lies, lies, all lies I tell you! So my revenge was to get an rd, and I ended up liking it, and this forum keeps me busy when I'm bored.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    I got my rd when my bf got a ticket infront of me (I was the passenger.) for going 90 in a 65 zone, but he was only going 70 the whole time. lies, lies, all lies I tell you! So my revenge was to get an rd, and I ended up liking it, and this forum keeps me busy when I'm bored.
    Good girl

Old Timer

I got my RD because I got a ticket a couple years ago, and I ran across some money just recently. It really depends on the road conditions and surrounds to determine how fast I go. At 3 AM on most roads, its pretty safe to go 20-30 over the PSL, though, as trazadone said, most cops wouldnt think so. Though I have to admit, I tend to lean a little on the aggresive side of driving at times, but nothing major. I also, sometimes find myself going a little faster than I normally would just becuase I have a RD, but I need to break that habit...until I get a laser jammer :twisted: (I do live in Florida.)

Radar Fanatic

I have it because I'm a chronic speeder.

-Obsidian-

Stealthcb

I actually DON'T find myself going faster with the RD. I know if I get pulled and the LEO saw my RD, I'm getting a TICKET, so I am more careful. Still, when I do go over -- not often right now -- it's nice to have some protection.

I normally am a VERY aggressive driver. Around town, I don't normally speed. Just accelerate quickly and maneuvery aggresively. But since I commute 150 miles round trip -- I do speed on the highway.

Radar Fanatic

For me it's kindA differtent, yes i do drive over the speed limit as most do. However i think the main reason i like having a detector is that i just get an awsome feeling when i get the alert and that possible save (most likely i wouldn't have gotten a ticket not every alert is a save).