Good Citizen

Default Min. Range for a good detector

Alot of people talk about the long range detection but what is the shortest distance that you would want for a warning on a radar detector and that detector be effective in giving you a chance to slow down if you caught yourself speeding when a alert sounded?? Just curious some people at work whom like myself have recieved tickets lately are asking me told them I would log in and ask the experts on this board.

thanks

Fireant

Radar Fanatic

Those long-range test numbers are largely irrelevant. They give you a gauge for relative sensitivity but that's about it. Real world distances will be only fractions of the 10-mile or whatever range was seen by SML in the desert. The bottom line is that you want the most sensitivity you can possibly get. Some situations on the road will greatly inhibit the travel of radar energy and that's where sensitivity really counts. If people are in the market for a detector tell them to look at the most sensitive detectors that they can afford, decide between them based on what best matches their driving habits.

Experienced

Default Minimum range of a good detector

Well, it depends on the continent. If you live in Europe then you need a detector which alarms you at least from 100m (around 330 feet) in the worst case (Ka Band radar from behind).

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Those long-range test numbers are largely irrelevant. They give you a gauge for relative sensitivity but that's about it. Real world distances will be only fractions of the 10-mile or whatever range was seen by SML in the desert. The bottom line is that you want the most sensitivity you can possibly get. Some situations on the road will greatly inhibit the travel of radar energy and that's where sensitivity really counts. If people are in the market for a detector tell them to look at the most sensitive detectors that they can afford, decide between them based on what best matches their driving habits.
    fireant, brick's advice is good, but tell your friends that in addition to a good RD that they need to drive smart. Because if they don't not even the most expensive RD is going to keep them from getting a ticket. Some of the things I do are: 1. I stay out of the left lane except to pass. 2. If I am the only one on the road I am more aware and not as prone to driving as fast as I might if there were others on the road. 3. If someone else is exceeding the speed limit follow at a safe distance and let them be the first into the trap. 4. When driving locally if I get an alert where I usually don't get an alert I slow down. 5. On the highway any alert is reason to slow. 6. A good pair of eyes are just as important as a good RD. 7. When driving locally be aware in the areas that you know are prone to radar enforcement. These are just a few examples of what I mean when I say drive smart. I am sure others have things that they do that they might share with you.

Good Citizen

Watch the brake lights of traffic in front of you. When driving into a trap pretty much 100% of the time if there is traffic in front you will see everyone braking for no apparent reason.

I would think it's a natural reaction, even if you're driving the limit. I know I do it.

-Bill

Radar Fanatic

For a good value/money detector, think about the Cobra XRS-9700 that Roy sells. It's a good unit as long as you don't need POP protection.

For a little higher-end unit, the Bel Vector 995 or RX65 is the way to go.

Power User

Dont forget just becouse you have a detector doesnt mean you can do 75 in a 50 zone.... I am always watching way up in front...and even bus shelters...ive seen em hiding in there as if they wer waiting for a bus.