Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default POP is HERE... Officially

ok well i have some sad news to the RD community, well to at least those around dallas texas. Apparently Murphy and plano PD (all i know of so far) have a Radar that will run 34.7 Ka, but anyways there radars will run on constant POP and just keep POPPING cars over and over again and as soon as they POP gets someone over the PSL bam the Ka kicks in... now the story of how i know.... just bare with me :shock:

Well this morning i dont have to be at school till later because of testing, so i go to the local donut shop and i see a officer in the parking lot hitting cars coming over the hill and i walk over to him and kind of startle him and say "good morning" bla bla bla and get into some small talk about lidar and this LEO was real nice and i mentioned about the radar and POP and he says, O that is what we are switching to (i knew so much about the stuff i think he figured my dad was a cop) but anyways he says yes check this out. so im standing outside the car and look at the radar, it was a built in one... a mph i believe it was, and well anyways the radar wasnt reading anything but one of the screens would display POP and then disapear and then a second later POP and kept repeating and a car comes over the hill and gives a speed and then the new speed, well anyways i said but you cant write tickets based on that right? and by then he was shocked about how much i knew and was like thats correct so whenever i catch someone going over i just flip on the radar and get the lock. well i said good chat, have a good day. same to you he says and i walk off to my car. Now i dont no what to think and if that was really true or a bunch of BS, well anyways i get in my car and turn POP on the X50 and turn off K, X, and laser just to make sure i wouldnt get any falses, well anyways i pull out pass the LEO and head down the road, i make a U turn and head back, and sure enough about .2 mi away(im still out of the LOS) the X50 screems POP and then nothing, and then another POP, one after the other and i wasnt speeding so i just kept going by him, no Ka reading at all but i must of had at least 15 POP warnings. Now im scared to do anything over the PSL because the fact is that no matter what detector POP radar is not long range,,,,short burst. i Just thought i would share and Jim maybe you have some information on some new Radars or new technology that may now be in place.

i think im going to go cry now, err and i was hoping to buy a dodge charger, but whats the point if its just going to be a ticket to hell :twisted: :wink:

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

sounds like the x50 did its job and warned you of the pop. If you got on the brakes you might have dodged the IO hit (in a real life situation). Scary nonetheless, Ill make sure to re-activate POP before I come home because I come through Dallas on I20 on my way back to ATx.

Professional

o and i forgot to add how i know murphy has it... well i often drive by the murphy police station because its by my house and they normally leave there radar on, well ive gone by before and had that POP thing but didnt think anything of it, just thought some radar was leaking a quick signal and falsing me. But now it all makes sense

Power User

Those are all falses. POP is on 33.8 not 34.7. If it was Ka POP and followed by regular radar you would see 33.8.

X50's are known to false POP around other detectors and regular Ka radar sources.

Advanced Member

I don't know. 34.7 GHz is Stalker, and Stalker has said in the past that they won't add a POP-like mode to their units. It would make sense that Texas would use a lot of Stalkers, since Stalker is in Texas.

I DO know that the BEE/Enforcer can be operated in POP mode in a similar manner that you describe. If you hold the button down, the unit will keep sending out POP bursts. But once a speed is acquired and displayed with one of these POP bursts, the unit automatically switches to instant-on.

IMHO there is no advantage to operating it like that, so I'm not sure why they would do it. But if they do, thats good: much more chance for advanced warning...

Radar Fanatic

I agree the X50 falses like hell on POP when you get the KA.... It alerts to KA then a few seconds later it goes to POP then back to KA then back to POP and so on until it loses the KA alert

Radar Fanatic

few things

why would they just leave it in constant on POP
    its just the same as constant on ka theoretically

criticize, i understand u being worried but really you dont have to be, two reasons; ur x50 did alertu to pop so chances are u may be alerted if u are targeted, but also why be more worried its the same thing as laser or instant on, except with laser u can have counter measures and pop mode u can actualy detect before thye get your real speed..where as IO your done no matter whaat

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I don't know. 34.7 GHz is Stalker, and Stalker has said in the past that they won't add a POP-like mode to their units. It would make sense that Texas would use a lot of Stalkers, since Stalker is in Texas.

I DO know that the BEE/Enforcer can be operated in POP mode in a similar manner that you describe. If you hold the button down, the unit will keep sending out POP bursts. But once a speed is acquired and displayed with one of these POP bursts, the unit automatically switches to instant-on.

IMHO there is no advantage to operating it like that, so I'm not sure why they would do it. But if they do, thats good: much more chance for advanced warning...
    All around me is Stalker DSRs, and ATRs with the occasional LZ1 and a few Satlker Basik units still floating around, Stalkers are BIG in TX and that is 34.7........ I doubt Applied Concepts is gettin into POP........ isnt that an MPH patent????

I think its just alerting to POP when it barely gets a hit off of the Ka, then to Ka as it gets stronger either constant or instant on

Lead Foot

X50 pop goes off all the time...so it would be hard to tell ferr sureee..

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

didnt he say he spoke to the LEO who said he was using new tech that was POP, and didnt he say that the unit the officer had looked like an MPH unit. Texas has POP according to the bands by state thread, and I have definitiely picked up 33.8 a few times. I dont know, maybe I read it wrong.