Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default RADAR DETECTOR USERS SAFER THAN NON-USERS?

This was kind of brought up in another thread in "Tribute to Drivers".

I am posting this here so it is easier to find.

After searching the net, here is the answer......

When distance driven is taken into account, motorists without radar detectors actually have a higher accident rate per vehicle miles traveled. This point was first demonstrated in the Yankelovich Clancy Shulman Study in 1987. Their findings were reinforced by the results of a MORI (Market & Opinion Research International) Radar Detector Survey conducted in 2001 on behalf of the Drivers’ Technology Association in Great Britain.

The battle continues on surrounding the safety of radar and laser speed detectors. Some feel the detectors help prevent speeding and accidents, while others feel they are just an excuse to speed.

In a survey conducted by Yankelovich Clancy Shulman, detector users had 23 percent fewer accidents per mile traveled than nonowners, and drove almost 60,000 miles farther between accidents.

Reference to three independent studies on the use of radar detectors (Yankelovich Clancy Shulman Report 1987 in the USA, MORI Report 2001 in the UK, and ADRA Survey 2000 in Australia) have all shown that radar detector users are safer drivers, having fewer accidents per kilometre travelled, and being much more aware of their speed limit than non-users.

The ADRA, Mori Report and Yankelovich study all support the conclusion of independent fact finders - radar detector users have fewer accidents per kilometre travelled, are more aware of posted speed limits and in fact have slowed down the driving for users of radar detectors.

Thoughts?

(1 ticket in my life....1990 in Gary Indiana...Trooper paced me 65 in 55mph zone. Had my BEL Express Radar Detector. No others, knock on wood!)

Yoda of Radar

Yeah I agree. And I posted the link to the full MORI report well over a year ago :wink:

It's fairly clear. Detector users tend to be more "enthusiastic" about their cars and driving itself, tend to drive more, have more experience, and are safer and more capable drivers. Barring the ricer kid with a Cobra in his Civic going 120 off a cliff...

Radar Fanatic

Well one question is who is the type of person that buys a detector. Are they the type that is a more aware driver to begin with.

Radar Fanatic

22 years on the road and about 1,000,000 kms... they wanna know my speed, I have no problem with that, BUT I wanna know where they are as well :wink: fair and simple :P

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    It's fairly clear. Detector users tend to be more "enthusiastic" about their cars and driving itself, tend to drive more, have more experience, and are safer and more capable drivers. Barring the ricer kid with a Cobra in his Civic going 120 off a cliff...

They must be going down a hill to reach that 120MPH. :wink:

Good Citizen

Any time you are more aware of what you are doing will keep you sharper in situations that would cause an accident.

Lead Foot

I suspected this was true. I wasn't aware there was a study proving it. Good find.

Newcomer

I remember a study on this a few times (unofficially) over the years. Apparently, detector users are more in tune with their environment due to the fact that they realize that their detectors will not prevent a ticket but rather give them enough warning to get their car within legal limits. Simply put, detector users have a greater sense of being aware of all goings on beyond their immediate area.

Power User

Default Detector users are definitely safer drivers.

Think about it....if every cop and emergency vehicle drove around all the time with Ka band constantly on, the quality radar detector users would be the safest drivers with a better awareness of their environment.

While the old people who drive slow and clog up the left lane, women on their cell phones not aware of their surroundings, people with Cobra's and RMR's speeding blindly, and every other idiot drove around with little or no awareness of what is really going on around them.

Lead Foot

We have known for quite some time that their is a certain type of driver that typically drives faster than the rate of traffic but never gets in accidents. Alot of these drivers use RD's as to not get into 'much' trouble for their 'illegal' activities.

RD users and nonRD users kinda have to different approaches to speed. non users typically drive the speed that makes them comfortble while RD users are mostly driving the speed they thing they can get away with. Thus they pay more attention to what they are doing and therefore the road.