Professional

Default Radar Vocabulary

I do not want to teach the right wording in radar technology here.

We say for convenience the radar beams is reflected .

Exactely the radar beam is not actually reflected by the target (car)

but the car itself (all metal pieces/metallised plastic) is re-radiating the

microwave radiation.So the car itself is turned into an antenna.

This is why it is so difficult to cut the ''radiation'' echoed from

a target , unless one is willing to spend millions of dollars, like DOD

with its project ''skunkworks''.

In any case , even the stealth plane is not 100 % invisible ,

just it shows a reduced RCS ,radar cross section .

In the case of the laser the term reflected is more than appropriate.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Radar Vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by 411radarlover

In any case , even the stealth plane is not 100 % invisible ,
    It is if you wax it everyday like that guy who owned the 86 iroc camero. that was posted around here somewhere lmao

Professional

Thank you for your insight!

Yoda of Radar

Yep.

The original Stealth plane showed up on radar as a bird or something. It still showed up, but very tiny.

Good Citizen
    NEW JERSEY South - about 15 mins from Philly

An excerpt from How stuff works.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/stealth-bomber.htm

The second element in radar invisibility is the plane's shape. Radio waves bounce off planes in the same way light bounces off a mirror. A flat, vertical mirror will bounce your image straight back to you -- you'll see yourself. But if you tilt the mirror 45 degrees, it will reflect your image straight upward. You won't see yourself; you'll see an image of the ceiling. A curved mirror also deflects light at an angle. If you were to aim a laser pointer at a curved mirror, the laser beam would never bounce straight back to the pointer, no matter how you positioned it.

The stealth bomber's peculiar shape deflects radio beams in both ways. The large flat areas on the top and bottom of the plane are just like tilted mirrors. These flat areas will deflect most radio beams away from the station, presuming the station isn't directly beneath the plane.

The plane itself also works like a curved mirror, particularly in the front section. The entire plane has no sharp, angled edges -- every surface is curved in order to deflect radio waves. The curves are designed to bounce almost all radio waves away at an angle.

But then what do I know.........

Experienced

Yes, they may have spent billions of $ to make that plane invisible, however planes (particularly jets) are made of metal, and a car doesn't have to be. Of course it needs some metal parts like engine etc. but it can be made less visible rather easily with fiberglass chassis and radar absorbing materials underneath. If you care, check out the radar jamming section, nuts&bolts thread.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by A 2000 SS in Jersey
    An excerpt from How stuff works.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/stealth-bomber.htm

The second element in radar invisibility is the plane's shape. Radio waves bounce off planes in the same way light bounces off a mirror. A flat, vertical mirror will bounce your image straight back to you -- you'll see yourself. But if you tilt the mirror 45 degrees, it will reflect your image straight upward. You won't see yourself; you'll see an image of the ceiling. A curved mirror also deflects light at an angle. If you were to aim a laser pointer at a curved mirror, the laser beam would never bounce straight back to the pointer, no matter how you positioned it.

The stealth bomber's peculiar shape deflects radio beams in both ways. The large flat areas on the top and bottom of the plane are just like tilted mirrors. These flat areas will deflect most radio beams away from the station, presuming the station isn't directly beneath the plane.

But then what do I know.........
    Hmmm... I'm buying a Cadillac!

Good Citizen
    NEW JERSEY South - about 15 mins from Philly

SmaartAasSaabr

yeah that does have that "angled look" dont it.

Hmm My SS is mosty plastic.........except for the rear fenders...........its as stealthy as a herd of boulders......................LOL

I have the tickets to prove it...........LOL

Lead Foot

I always look at from this point of view. If they can clock a slick street bike from a mile away with today's modern digital radar guns then you know a car is toast for sure from even further away. With older analog radar guns, a sleek design helped a lot as the vehicle was sampled less often over a longer distance. It once was true that you could aggressively outbrake instant-on with these guns. Unfortunately manufacturers like Stalker are getting close to perfecting digital radar guns that rapidly sample vehicles and lock on their speed incredibly fast especially when operated in stationary mode. You could not even hide in a pack of tractor trailers with these radar guns.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Yep.

The original Stealth plane showed up on radar as a bird or something. It still showed up, but very tiny.
    Unless it was raining, then it was a bit LARGER