Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Detectors, California, safe to use?

So I've been using my Beltronics in my signature for a few days now, with no problems.

I do have some questions however:
    My dad is freaking out. Can it easily be hidden before I come home?
    Does hiding the detector when pulled over save a cop from ticketing me for it?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

^^ that's a link to some questions I had.

Thanks in advance,
    Travis

Advanced Member

WEll it all depends if you can get the detector out of site before the officer is behind your car looking in i would take it down...If a cop sees a detector it's an instant ticket unless he is a "cool" cop and they are rare...

Detectors are legal to use in CA but it is illegal to operate laser jammers in that state....

Your best bet is to hardwire your detector to hide it....I have my detector just under my rearview making it hard to see when the officer is looking in the window of from behind....I always take my detector down when i'm parked and put it in my glove box to prevent possible theft...You could if you have the money is invest in a BEL RX75 for a more stealth mount.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My dad is worried about the stuff but it cool with everything as long as it is legal
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just so you know there is alot of false information on that post you linked too...I'm gald you came to a more knowledgeable place :wink:

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    WEll it all depends if you can get the detector out of site before the officer is behind your car looking in i would take it down...If a cop sees a detector it's an instant ticket unless he is a "cool" cop and they are rare...

Detectors are legal to use in CA but it is illegal to operate laser jammers in that state....

Your best bet is to hardwire your detector to hide it....I have my detector just under my rearview making it hard to see when the officer is looking in the window of from behind....I always take my detector down when i'm parked and put it in my glove box to prevent possible theft...You could if you have the money is invest in a BEL RX75 for a more stealth mount.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My dad is worried about the stuff but it cool with everything as long as it is legal
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just so you know there is alot of false information on that post you linked too...I'm gald you came to a more knowledgeable place :wink:
    Hmm. Thanks for the info. I'd like to "stealth" my detector, any hints/tips on that?

Right now I have it middle of windshield so I can change it to highway/city... is that a good location/setup?

Thanks,
    Trav

Radar Fanatic

What an awesomely stupid quote from the board posted above-
    In PA you get 2 tickets. 1 for speeding, 1 for raddar detector.
    In ohio + WV you can get pulled over for having a radar detector and get a ticket even if you are not speeding. They actually make a radar detector detector which they use to see if you are using one. Of course I am told the way to defeat them is to drive with a new 75 watt lightbulb laying on your dashboard, it messes up the radar detector detector. Of course then the guy told me he even got a ticket for doing the lightbulb thing.

Advanced Member

Well the best way to detect radar is mount up high for laser it's low....
    And i know CA uses laser on the highways but once you get shot with laser and are speeding it's guaranteed ticket, without counter measure such as VEIL and laserSheild plate cover or jammer(illegal to operate in CA)....I think you should go with mounting the detector high and definitely hardwire the detector so no dangling wires...Also if a cop pulls you over and looks in the window the detector will be hard to see fron his view

At one point i had my detector so high i couldn't see the display and i would just go by the audio alerts.....But currently I'm liking my set up of center of windshield peeking fron under the rear veiw.....On my dad's daily driver i mount the detector above the rearview due to no tint strip at all...

Also just cause you have a detector does not make ot hard for you to get a ticket when the cop is running radar...Make sure you utilize "smart" speeding
    -------------------------------------------------------
    What type of car do you drive?

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    What an awesomely stupid quote from the board posted above-
    In PA you get 2 tickets. 1 for speeding, 1 for raddar detector.
    In ohio + WV you can get pulled over for having a radar detector and get a ticket even if you are not speeding. They actually make a radar detector detector which they use to see if you are using one. Of course I am told the way to defeat them is to drive with a new 75 watt lightbulb laying on your dashboard, it messes up the radar detector detector. Of course then the guy told me he even got a ticket for doing the lightbulb thing.
    . Thanks, I needed that dose of comedy!

And i know CA uses laser on the highways but once you get shot with laser and are speeding it's guaranteed ticket, without counter measure such as VEIL and laserSheild plate cover or jammer(illegal to operate in CA)....I think you should go with mounting the detector high and definitely hardwire the detector so no dangling wires...Also if a cop pulls you over and looks in the window the detector will be hard to see fron his view

At one point i had my detector so high i couldn't see the display and i would just go by the audio alerts.....But currently I'm liking my set up of center of windshield peeking fron under the rear veiw.....On my dad's daily driver i mount the detector above the rearview due to no tint strip at all...

Also just cause you have a detector does not make ot hard for you to get a ticket when the cop is running radar...Make sure you utilize "smart" speeding
    I have an Audi. Parents have a Volvo SUV...

Elaborate on the "smart" speeding please?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin Trav

I have an Audi. Parents have a Volvo SUV...

Elaborate on the "smart" speeding please?
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=avoid+tickets

Radar Fanatic

Don't worry too much about the detector in California. They're completely, 100% legal. The only way an officer could do anything about it is if it was mounted in such a way that it obstructed your view of the road, you could be cited for that.

Just mount it up high on the window, but below the tint strip and get a hardwire setup and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Don't worry too much about the detector in California. They're completely, 100% legal. The only way an officer could do anything about it is if it was mounted in such a way that it obstructed your view of the road, you could be cited for that.

Just mount it up high on the window, but below the tint strip and get a hardwire setup and you'll be set.
    Can you explain this hardwire thing better? It works fine where I have it mounted now... perhaps a longer cord would be fine?

-Trav